Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: surf_teenpregnancy  (Read 84390 times)

Offline Toaster

• View Profile
Re: surf_teenpregnancy
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 05:47:48 AM »
You're stevo!!!

... back to my corner....

Offline TargetPractice

• Eat my surf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
I mean really Target Practice and Paper-Cut, you're refusing to play the map solely based on the theme?

Whoever said we haven't played, or refused to play the map?

Click HERE for free films and games with the LoveFilm offers!

Offline Butterknife

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »
Whoever said we haven't played, or refused to play the map?

Paper-Cut did.

The map could be the best ever made, but I'm not going to play it. I could care less if you made a map that was funny, but this map is the kind of humor that is not in good taste. Do you actually know someone who has gone through teenage pregnancy? Hell, while you're at it, why don't you make a surf_suicide?

But hold off a few hours or a day until I get the newer version out, which has some updates and better in-game text instructions for things that may not be as intuitive to pick up. Thanks.

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »
Haha. Those crazy teens! Always getting pregnant.

Anywho, it is perfectly OK to get offended by a map. If my parants died, and someone made a map called surf_LOL_at_dead_parants; I think I would have the right to be offended at a maps title. Being offended by something is subjective. If someone is offended, there is no way to argue them out of it.

I remember a mission in the game KKND2 from back in the day, called "River Pheonix Suicide" where you had to navigate up the River Pheonix on a suicide mission to attack the enemy. The first time I played it? Fun level, albiet a little easy, You could probably beat it without tanks. Then I grew a little older, and learned about the actor, River Pheonix, who had commited suicide.: A big tragedy. I am now offended by that mission title. It isnt the arrangment of letters that is offensive, it is what they mean. If someones life was ruined by teenage pregnancy, this map could bring tears to their eyes.

Odds are, there will be a few people really upset with it. To name a map something offensive on purpose is to say, "I will sacrifice some peoples feelings, to make other people laugh". Its a selfish trade-off where the creator wants to be the class clown. I think age and maturity play a huge role in whether or not you see a problem with it.

From a mapping point of view, it is a sad thing to see that gimmicks are entering even a maps title to cover up shoddy design and/or worthless gameplay. I don't understand why a person would go through the trouble for an elaborate offensive joke, when they could have spent the time on a legitimatly good map. I don't find teenage pregnancy particularly offensive, but it isn't really all that funny or clever. As a server owner I would never put it on a map rotation (I am not willing to sacrifice one persons feelings like that, even if everyone else in the server died laughing).

Why do it, really? For a couple people to say, "LOL" to you? To give you a pat on the back? There are a million ways to amuse yourself, I never could understand why someone would choose the ways that hurt others.

/Devils Advocate

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2008, 07:03:33 PM »
FAJ said what I was trying to say all along, except in the way that I meant it.

+1 FAJ
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline stevo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
FAJ made a valid point, instead of just going on and on with reasons why the map was so bad because of the name itself. I agree with most of your points FAJ, it is a controversial subject on many levels, but one has to realize the basic truth that this is not reality. I can understand why someone would be offended if a person made fun of teen pregnancy in the real world, but this isn't the real world. This is a virtual world of digital ramps and weapons, meant to be entertaining and fun for a wide variety of people.

With that, I think it is really the player's decision on whether or not he/she wants to try the map out. Some people probably find the map very amusing and fun, and others probably find it extremely offensive and inappropriate. But hey, not everyone has the same opinion, and you really can't criticize someone because of their views on certain subjects. I agree that Butterknife is a pretty fucked up individual sometimes, but he's also quite amusing. Take it with a grain of salt, and just have fun!

~intox. stevo

Offline Toaster

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2008, 05:10:01 AM »
Well it's not like it was called surf_LOL_at_teen_pregnancy... it was just surf_teenpregnancy.

Now that I think about, I would laugh the same amount if this was just called surf_pregnancy. I only find this map hilarious because it is just so new and out there. Basing a CS:S surf map off of pregnancy is just so weird that it's funny. The introduction of the teen aspect may bring a little hard feelings from others...

However, if you were to let go of the teen part of the name, then the uproar would probably be about abortion which is a topic that's just about as touchy to some.

Maybe he wanted to put this message in our faces. Some may not agree with how, but it clearly worked. Maybe he was bored and chose this as the theme. Maybe Butterknife just doesn't have a soul \

I get why people are offended... but I get the feeling that some think he made it deliberately to offend them. If he did, then I'd be like \ as well, but otherwise... just let it go.

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2008, 06:16:22 AM »
This map gave me mixed feelings...

It was fun at the start with an original idea for surf... but then it became like any other surf map. I think some more texture work could have helped out, along with some better lighting. I think there was also a leak which lead to some crazy moments...

As far as the surf goes, it started off original - like I said - then became just average. Nothing was very fun about it. The ramps were smooth, but thats about it.

If this is your first map, definetely not a bad start!

And I don't find any offence or problem with the name, just kind of strange. Haha.

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline Butterknife

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2008, 07:29:25 AM »
Haha. Those crazy teens! Always getting pregnant.

Anywho, it is perfectly OK to get offended by a map. If my parants died, and someone made a map called surf_LOL_at_dead_parants; I think I would have the right to be offended at a maps title. Being offended by something is subjective. If someone is offended, there is no way to argue them out of it.

I remember a mission in the game KKND2 from back in the day, called "River Pheonix Suicide" where you had to navigate up the River Pheonix on a suicide mission to attack the enemy. The first time I played it? Fun level, albiet a little easy, You could probably beat it without tanks. Then I grew a little older, and learned about the actor, River Pheonix, who had commited suicide.: A big tragedy. I am now offended by that mission title. It isnt the arrangment of letters that is offensive, it is what they mean. If someones life was ruined by teenage pregnancy, this map could bring tears to their eyes.

Odds are, there will be a few people really upset with it. To name a map something offensive on purpose is to say, "I will sacrifice some peoples feelings, to make other people laugh". Its a selfish trade-off where the creator wants to be the class clown. I think age and maturity play a huge role in whether or not you see a problem with it.

From a mapping point of view, it is a sad thing to see that gimmicks are entering even a maps title to cover up shoddy design and/or worthless gameplay. I don't understand why a person would go through the trouble for an elaborate offensive joke, when they could have spent the time on a legitimatly good map. I don't find teenage pregnancy particularly offensive, but it isn't really all that funny or clever. As a server owner I would never put it on a map rotation (I am not willing to sacrifice one persons feelings like that, even if everyone else in the server died laughing).

Why do it, really? For a couple people to say, "LOL" to you? To give you a pat on the back? There are a million ways to amuse yourself, I never could understand why someone would choose the ways that hurt others.

/Devils Advocate

Well saying teenpregnancy hurts some in light of making others laugh is like saying counter-strike hurts some in light of making others laugh.

For all you know there are people who have had relatives shot. So should we not play counter-strike because it depicts acts of violence and shows blood? (I would consider a death by gunshot much more devastating)  I get the point you're trying to make FAJ and I respect it, but I don't think it's a very good business decision if that is where you are coming from, as far as deciding if you host my map on your server or not.

Offline spoz

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT DICKNOSE?
    • View Profile
    • Line12
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »
Fuck it, next map I make is now entitled: surf_over_politically_correct  \
But if u really wanna see a screwed up map take a look at that greatriver awesome 1... freaked the shit out of me... its like a child molestation adventure.....

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2008, 04:32:44 PM »
Anyone can get offended by anything. If your parants drowned in a river, the name greatriver could make you sad. The difference is that you are going out of your way to be offensive, for a joke. It is tastless, but I think you enjoy that aspect of it. Don't worry about the 'buisness' end of it; if it is a good map, it will be played by many servers. Some server owners don't like to have skill maps on the rotation, some don't like ugly maps. I don't like this sort of map. Can't please all the people all the time.

Offline mongoos3

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »
I don't understand why a person would go through the trouble for an elaborate offensive joke, when they could have spent the time on a legitimatly good map.

Exactly what I tried to say in my first post.  Why make a map with a gimmicky name when you could make a bad ass one with a badass name?

Offline Japetheape

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »
Exactly what I tried to say in my first post.  Why make a map with a gimmicky name when you could make a bad ass one with a badass name?

Well for some people they would rather create that kind of map but what you have to remember is everyone has there own mind and they might rather create a map that they know they would get flamed for but funny to them and some other people. I know i would rather make a badass map \ but thats just me.

Offline Lody Blokady

• the saviour of surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »
You do realise that all this arguing you have been doing has publicized the map, look it even has 50+ posts!

Offline Electric™

• Elect Rick
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 02:57:36 PM »
Where do you go out of spawn?

Offline Butterknife

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »
Where do you go out of spawn?

There's a small hole, a tear if you will, on the top of the condom opposite to where it says "INTOX BRAND, MINT FLAVORED." You have to surf along the shaft and make your way out of the hole in order to get a knife. However, in the lite version which is now available, the main condom reservoir will break after 60 seconds, allowing you to surf the map albeit without a weapon. For your convenience there has been a knife placed at the very end of the map, as you'll need it in order to breach the breakable walls of the egg and earn your right to existence.

Edit: Please look at the original post for the fpsbanana link to the lite version of this map.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:07:22 PM by Butterknife »

SmOoth

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »
There are a million ways to amuse yourself, I never could understand why someone would choose the ways that hurt others.
Ha, ya right.

Props to butterknife for doing something original, because surfmaps are really lacking that these days. TP and Paper-Cut must be southpark-haters  \

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
Who let you out of my fucking basement, smooth?!

Send me a damned commune section you lazy asshole!

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »
I let him out! O_o

SmOoth

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »
Who let you out of my fucking basement, smooth?!

Send me a damned commune section you lazy asshole!

I haven't touched hammer since it made me money and I don't think I will anytime soon, there's way too many fun toys in your basement.

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2008, 02:07:37 AM »
You weren't supposed to find out about those..

Offline RizzLe

• Juxtapo
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 08:07:49 AM »
I am amazed by your outrageously misguided comment Butterknife. I placed the seriousness of the context in which this map was based with racism. Both issues are SERIOUS insults and are absolutely disgusting to joke about. I was merely highlighting it's importance through the example. Get off your high-horse by saying I am insulting black people, because if you think that then you are either incredibly naive, or just plain old fucking stupid for not understanding the POINT of my comment. By using the examples: surf_i_hate_black_people and surf_AIDS I was placing them in the same category of seriousness as surf_teen_pregnancy. Since when did I say it would be a good idea? Christ almighty, if you can't understand a fucking picture " \ " then how else can anyone explain something to you in words alone?

None of this is funny, and it should not be taken lightly, which is why I provided those examples. Honestly mate, don't start whining that I am a racist when you can't even fucking understand the context in which the examples were used. I haven't belittled anything, and if you think that is the case then you need to grow some balls and stop being so sensitive whenever someone mentions the word "black" or "race" because it can be used in a whole plethora of contexts. I despise racism, and I take a keen role in eliminating it on all DR servers which I administrate. I am possibly one of the least racist people here. It's an abominable insult and a dirty thing to say. And in the same category of seriousness, teen pregnancy is a dispicable thing to joke about, and therefore is AS serious as racism. From what YOU are saying, the controversial teen pregnancy situation is not as serious as racism. That is most certainly not true. If anything, YOU are the one belittling the situation by making this map. You are saying to me now, from your comments, that racism is much more important than teen pregnancy. Fuck dude, you even made a bloody map to joke about teen pregnancy. I was mentioning that since you are making a joke about teen pregnancy, you may-as-well have made a map called surf_i_hate_black_people, because that is AS serious as joking about teen pregnancy. Any insult which is meant to maliciously attack someone is as serious as another insult, and don't think you can play me off as the bad guy just because I used racism and AIDS as another serious example. Honestly, where do you get off thinking these arguements up? Grow up kid and take a fucking dose of sarcasm in the morning, it'll prepare you for the rest of the day.

ye i agree pplz that do pregnat shouldnt be shamed
Juxtapo

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2015, 01:21:46 AM »
Surf_necro_posting, i am o-fended

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »

Bro fucking 7 year bump.  Is that a record?