Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Creating custom models for hammer!  (Read 86575 times)

Offline Player

• View Profile
Creating custom models for hammer!
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
This tutorial will teach you how to make your 3d model, texture it, compile it, and embed it into your .bsp so players will automatically download it when they download the map. I made this tutorial because I haven't seen any other tutorials specifically for cs maps, and that I found it quite hard to do due to lack of explanation the first time.

Before you start

Be warned, this is a complex and time consuming process. Make sure to check valve's models first in case they already made the model that you are planning to make. I'm going to assume you know basic knowledge of 3dsmax and photoshop.
You will need:
Making the model
First, lets configure the scale that we will be using for our model. 1 hammer unit = 0.75 inches. In 3ds max, go to Customize>Units Setup and click the radio button for US standard, and select Decimal inches from the drop down menu. Then click the button that says "System Units Setup." Say that 1 unit = 0.75 inches, then click ok.

For this tutorial, I'm going to be using my name as an example model. First, go to create>shapes>text and click the perspective view. In the modify panel, enter the text that you want it to say and the font. Try to use a font that doesn't have curves, as this will affect performance. I used Yukarimobile (http://www.dafont.com/yukarimobile.font).

Now apply an extrude modifier and change extrude it to something like 7.5". You can play around with the modifiers if you like to give it a more custom look. Just for fun, I made a simple taper modifier.

But what's this! It looks like we have a crease! Some fonts might do this. We will have to go into edit poly to fix it. Either apply an Edit poly modifier or right click your model and click Convert to>editable poly. For me, the problem was solved when I converted the object into an editable poly. If it doesn't solve itself when you do this, post a screenshot of the model and I will help you out. The model is now done.

However, we still need to make the physhull. The physhull of an object is a convex solid, or a group of convex solids that tells the object what to behave like if it was a physics prop, the hitbox, etc. What "convex solid" means is that basically if you put plastic wrap all over your solid, there will be no air inbetween your model and the plastic wrap. If your model is concave, like our text, we have to use groups of objects to mimic our text. The physhull isn't actually rendered, so put as little detail into it as you can. Because I'm making a skill surf map, and this will be a static model, people aren't going to be shooting the model or walking on it. In that case, I will just make a simple box physhull.

Now, if you used multiple objects, group them together (group>group). If you used one object, like me, you don't need to group anything. Select the move gizmo and line up your physhull and your model. Make sure that the model and the physhull are close to the origin (0,0,0). Select your physhull and go to the hierarchy panel.

Click "affect pivot only and right click these three buttons. Do the same for your model.

You are now done your physhull and have aligned the physhull and the model.

Texturing the Model

I am going to go for the classic white text and black extrusion that is common in surf maps. We can do this 2 ways. We can either use the handy-dandy multiple material feature in max, or we can use one image and use an Unwrap UVW modifier and map the different parts to the image, a more complicated way. We're going to do it the hard way, because not only is it fun, but also because models that use multiple materials are a lot harder to render, and we want our map running smooth!

To make the texture, open up photoshop and make a new 128x128 file or a 256x256 file. "But Player!" you say, "We can just use a 2x2 texture if we're only using 2 simple colors, because the source engine supports any texture that is a power of 2!" Alas, I wish that could be true, but when I tried to use a small texture, 3ds max glitches and doesn't map it properly in the Unwrap UVW  part. Anyway, make it half black and half white, then save it as a .vtf with that handy plugin. Make sure to save it in <account name>/steamapps/Counter-Strike source/cstrike/materials. Just click ok on the next menu, we don't need to change the settings.

Now, using VTFedit, open up the .vtf and go to tools>create .vmt file. Under options, select vertexlitgeneric as your shader. Uncheck translucent.

Click create. Make sure to give it the exact same name as your .vtf file. So if your .vtf is tutorialmaterial.vtf, name it tutorialmaterial.vmt. Close Vtfedit.

Now back to max. Hit m and the material editor will pop up. Press the little gray button beside "diffuse" and double click "bitmap."

Double click your vtf file. Click "go to parent".

Drag the sphere for your material onto the model and the physhull in the perspective viewport, or you can select both and click "assign material to selection". Right click the physhull and select "hide selected" in the quad menu. click "show standard map in viewport." Change "self illumination" to 100.

Close the material editor. Go into edit poly, polygon mode, and turn on "ignore backfacing."

In the front viewport, select the extrusion like so.

Click an empty gray area on the dock and move your mouse around to scroll through different option. Scroll down to the part that says Polygon: Material IDs, and with your extrusion still selected, type 2 in Set ID and hit enter.

In "Select ID" enter 1 and it should select your text. This is just checking. Go back up and choose "unwrap UVW" in the big modifier list.

Click "Edit..." and type in 2 in "select MatID" and click select MatID. Click Quick planar map, which is below.

Select face object mode and freeform mode. With ID 2 selected, move it to the black part of your image using freeform mode. You can shrink it and rotate it however you want, just make sure it is completely covered in black.

Now type 1 in select MatID and click select MatID. Move it to the white part.

Close the Edit UVW's window and Click the unwrap UVW modifier. Deselect your model.

Your model should now look something like this:

Now wasn't that EASY?  \

Compiling the Model

We are finished the actual model and texturing, but unfortunately we're not out of the woods yet  \ So lets get cracking! Right click in your 3ds max viewport and select "unhide all" from the quad menu. The physhull should appear. Select your model (if you can't see it, press h) and go to file > export selected. Export it as an smd with that handy plugin and save it to Counter-Strike Source/cstrike/models. Just click ok on the next 2 dialogs.

If you're wondering why some of the documents are named SKAR, it's because I made a custom name model for Skar. Do the same process for the physhull except name it something else so you can tell the difference between the 2 later. Now we need to make a sequence smd. A sequence .smd shows the animation for the model, even  static models need these. We will simply use an empty animation for our static model. Simply export the model as a sequence. You should have 5 files for your model now: Your .vtf, your .vmt, your physhull, your sequence, and your actual model. We will now make a .qc file. This file will tell guistudiomdl how to compile the model and make it usable in hammer. Create a text file in your models folder with this inside of it:
$modelname   "<folder inside model directory>/<The model's name>.mdl"
$body mybody   "./<your model>.smd"
$staticprop
$surfaceprop   combine_metal
$cdmaterials   "."

$sequence idle   "<your model's sequence>.smd" loop fps 15

$collisionmodel   "<your physhull>.smd"
Note: the reason cdmaterials is "." is because you saved your vtf and vmt in your materials folder, and this is where the compiler automatically checks.
So my .qc would be:
$modelname   "tutorialmodel/tutorialmodel.mdl"
$body mybody   "./tutorial model.smd"
$staticprop
$surfaceprop   combine_metal
$cdmaterials   "."

$sequence idle   "tutorial model_sequence.smd" loop fps 15

$collisionmodel   "tutorial model_physhull.smd"
Rename the text file into a .qc file. Now drag your .qc file over guistudiomdl, choose Counter-Strike Source from the drop down menu and click compile.

If all went well, your model should compile into the file you specified in $modelname. Let's open up hammer and see the result!

Hooray! It works. If it didn't work when you did it the first time (it didn't for me), post a screenshot an a description of the problem and I'll help you out. All we have to do now is use pakrat to embed the files in the .bsp. Note: do not embed your .smd or your .qc file. embed what is in the folder you specified in your .qc file ($modelname). Open up pakrat, open your .bsp file and click add. When you are done, go to file>save .bsp. Every time you compile your map, you have to re-embed the model files and textures, so make sure to do this step when your map is already finished.

Well that was it! You made a custom model and a custom texture, and you mapped the texture to the model, compiled it, and embeded all the files into your .bsp! Give yourself a pat on the back  \

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
Re: Creating custom models for hammer!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:44 PM »
What about importing things made into Hammer to export as a model?
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:13:27 PM »
Why would you need to do that?

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »
Because ramps whore the plane usage.

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:45 PM »
A model is a compiled file; you cant turn ramps into models. You can model the ramps in 3ds but even then, they might not be surfable.

Offline spoz

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT DICKNOSE?
    • View Profile
    • Line12
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »
fancy doing this again but for C4D?  \
But if u really wanna see a screwed up map take a look at that greatriver awesome 1... freaked the shit out of me... its like a child molestation adventure.....

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
Hehe, sorry I don't have that software. Here's something to get you started. http://www.hl2land.net/nirrad/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:29:54 PM by Player »

Offline Knife

• Jerker
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Stay Classy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
I think I just creamed. :O

Thanks for this tutorial, been confused on this for oh so long \.
Why so Ryan?

Offline SintaxError

• Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • There's an error in your sintax.
    • View Profile
    • SolidSurf
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 03:25:51 AM »
You actually can import a vmf into Softimage and export it as a model if you want to.  Texturing it might be a pain in the ass.

Offline spoz

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
    • Line12
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
You actually can import a vmf into Softimage and export it as a model if you want to.  Texturing it might be a pain in the ass.
yup that works on C4D too but it textures everything you import a garish yellow colour
But if u really wanna see a screwed up map take a look at that greatriver awesome 1... freaked the shit out of me... its like a child molestation adventure.....

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:08:35 PM »
When you import a ramp. for example, does it import the ramp as a collection of objects (the brushes) or does it meld them together into one seamless object? Because on top of texturing, you're also going to have to worry about a making concave physhull, and if it comes to that, you might as well just do it in hammer, even if it does whore plane use.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:13:08 PM by Player »

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 06:14:45 PM »
When you import a ramp. for example, does it import the ramp as a collection of objects (the brushes) or does it meld them together into one seamless object? Because on top of texturing, you're also going to have to worry about a making concave physhull, and if it comes to that, you might as well just do it in hammer, even if it does whore plane use.

The concave physhull was what happened when I tried to do it before, and you were walking on top if it rather than surfing..know anyway around that? Or a way to just manually make the collisions yourself?

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 11:29:59 PM »
If you can't make the physhull with one concave object, you have to use a group of multiple concave objects.

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »
God damn I hate 3DS Max so much, I had to use it on my Animation Team.
Epic Pain In The Assholes.
What the fuck happened?

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 01:02:51 AM »
Sweet tutorial

Offline Electric™

• Elect Rick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »
You can model ramps, though you would have to use custom textures, and I think the model material would have to be altered, or something.

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 04:30:12 PM »
The problem isn't about modeling the ramp itself and the textures. I'm sure that the textures will be better looking with much less effort, in fact. The problem resides in creating the ramp's physhull, or the "hitbox," one has to make the hitbox of the ramp out of individual primitives (triangular prisms). If this works, this could mean something big. Figuring I have nothing to do this morning, I'll try and make a surfable ramp in 3ds max.

Edit: Forget it, modeling a surfable ramp in 3ds max is an ordeal too painful to finish. You're better off just using hammer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:11:21 PM by Player »

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 06:52:45 PM »
The problem isn't about modeling the ramp itself and the textures. I'm sure that the textures will be better looking with much less effort, in fact. The problem resides in creating the ramp's physhull, or the "hitbox," one has to make the hitbox of the ramp out of individual primitives (triangular prisms). If this works, this could mean something big. Figuring I have nothing to do this morning, I'll try and make a surfable ramp in 3ds max.

Edit: Forget it, modeling a surfable ramp in 3ds max is an ordeal too painful to finish. You're better off just using hammer.

Making the model itself is simple, you make it in Hammer and convert it in. I'll give you the file if you can make the physhulls for it.

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 12:53:05 AM »
Making the model itself is simple, you make it in Hammer and convert it in. I'll give you the file if you can make the physhulls for it.

Er, I meant the physhulls, sorry. The model is actually pretty cool looking if you make it in 3ds max though, cause you can make a (triangle) shape and extrude it on a spline, which you can curve providing any ramp curve with a few clicks. If only the damn physhull was as easy.

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 01:15:16 AM »
Where do I put the text file, because I googled it and put it in the fonts folder, and it's not showing up in 3ds Max. I really want to use this font for the new collab map ><

Also, get your ass back on the forums and reply to this message.
What the fuck happened?

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »
It worked fine for me by just putting it in my font folder. Did you google it or use the link that I gave you?

Offline quaza

• Entity Expert
    • View Profile
    • Squish Tower Defence
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
about a month bump but i dont care
im having issues with my model, it doesnt load into the model viewer and appears as a gigantic red square in hammer (like, entire GRID big). the QC file seems to compile fine, though.
attached are the relavent files.
note: the models was made in Wings 3D, then ported over to max. that's what the .wings and the .3ds are for
~ Quaza

Squish Tower Defence (on Facebook) <--- I made that.

25.476219054763691 Meters = 1337 Hammer Units

Offline Black Sheep

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
about a month bump but i dont care
im having issues with my model, it doesnt load into the model viewer and appears as a gigantic red square in hammer (like, entire GRID big). the QC file seems to compile fine, though.
attached are the relavent files.
note: the models was made in Wings 3D, then ported over to max. that's what the .wings and the .3ds are for

Dude, use XSI mod tool

1. It's free
2. It's what valve uses
3. Comes with its own smd export/import and vmf import/export

Offline quaza

• Entity Expert
    • View Profile
    • Squish Tower Defence
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 01:31:30 AM »
i have that on my house compy, but i already knew how to use wings, and my school had 3ds max. ill try converting it to XSI, then to hammer.
~ Quaza

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 02:11:31 AM »
1. Try making your model's physhull just one bounding box
2. Make sure that all the faces on the physhull are on one smoothing group
3. Check the scale

Offline quaza

• Entity Expert
    • View Profile
    • Squish Tower Defence
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 03:23:44 AM »
well, i know the scale is right, i checked that about 6 times
by smoothing groups, so you mean all soft edges vs hard edges
and theres nothing i can do till im back at school tomorrow anyway
oh, and 3dsmax cant port into XSI via 3ds, at least it didnt when i tried.
~ Quaza

Offline Black Sheep

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »
Yes it can

Go to file import model
and in the dropdown box where it says .emdl change that to .3ds

Offline quaza

• Entity Expert
    • View Profile
    • Squish Tower Defence
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »
well, i tried the import / 3ds and it failed. ill try ur way, but i dont expect results. havent had time yet to get to max

EDIT: i looked at the max file, no, the hull wasnt all smooth, but after i fixed that it still was broken. i tried one box, all faces smoothing group 1, and still broken. re-checked the scale, its still the way player described. see if you can do it urself, the zip file in the post above has the max files and textures

EDIT: realized the zip had before my attempts. recent models and textures here.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:45:04 PM by quaza »
~ Quaza

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 04:15:10 AM »
well, you got me stumped.

Offline spoz

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
    • Line12
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 02:02:15 AM »
Dude, use XSI mod tool

1. It's free
2. It's what valve uses
3. Comes with its own smd export/import and vmf import/export
uhhh XSI is the authorised modtool (hint is in the name) valve themselves use 3DSMax and for portions of EP2, the blastcode add in

Offline Black Sheep

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
uhhh XSI is the authorised modtool (hint is in the name) valve themselves use 3DSMax and for portions of EP2, the blastcode add in
Hmm, Don't know if that is true now but this video the content lead is talking about how they use XSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xplUAMlZ-h4

"Which programs/tools did your team use to create Half-Life 2 once you had the engine set up? Would you recommend these programs to mod teams?
The compilation tool we used at the time we shipped Half-Life 2 was MS Visual C++ 6.0 but we recently transitioned the team to MS Visual Studio .NET 7.1. A few years ago we moved our asset/code control from MS Visual Source Safe over to Perforce that was both painful and liberating at the same time. We continue to use IncrediBuild (a plugin for MSVC which allows for distributed compilation of C++ code). We have a bevy of internal tools we wrote including map compilation tools and a set of utilities for doing distributed processing to speed up compilation times for maps. We wrote our own facial animation tool, FacePoser, and our own world-building tool, Hammer. We mainly use XSI for modeling and animation, but some of the artists use other tools in their day-to-day work in the art pipeline."

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Gabe_Newell%27s_FAQ

Offline Player

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
modeling programs at our skill level is mostly a matter of taste. personally i prefer 3ds max, but i know that xsi tool is great if you wanna edit and rig and animate bipeds and bones, im switching to maya soon anyway, its gonna hurt

Offline Black Sheep

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 11:52:30 PM »
modeling programs at our skill level is mostly a matter of taste. personally i prefer 3ds max, but i know that xsi tool is great if you wanna edit and rig and animate bipeds and bones, im switching to maya soon anyway, its gonna hurt

lol, I always hear that about maya

Offline uuk

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 06:02:55 AM »
My apologies for this bump..
but I believe that it is worth it and that it is useful info.

I have recently discovered a new little hammer plugin type thing called  "propper".
"propper" is an exe file and a fgd file that lets you do the brush work in Hammer and then compile it as if you were compiling a map (except with the "propper" settings on) and then once done compiling it makes it a model file and creates the qc file for it and the texture files for it and all the other stuff a model needs.

Although, it does take some preparation for it to work..
First you have to sort out the folders for it to compile the model files to
then you also have to texture it, but this can be done using the hammer texturing system (Texture Application Tool)
it also requires to be setup in the compiler advanced options (F9 > Expert)

But once you get it working it is easy to use and a lot more easier to compile models if you were having troubles with compiling them before. (I got mine working in under 10 minutes)

You can also use Softimage Xsi modtool with the ValveSource Plugin / Addon  to  export a model created in  modtool  and export it as a vmf file into hammer, or the other way around exporting a vmf from Hammer into modtool.

Links:
propper - http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Propper
AutoDesk Softimage modtool 7.5 - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13571320
Softimage modtool 6.01 - http://www.moddb.com/downloads/xsi-mod-tool-601

(I personally prefer modtool version 6.01 (non autodesk))

But yeah.. hoped this helped and sorry again for the bump.

Offline Black Sheep

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 11:51:35 AM »
Really?
You prefer Mod tool 6?
You don't get ICE, Ambient Occlusion, Rendermaps without the watermark, increase render distance and it has a lot less crashing

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
My apologies for this bump..
but I believe that it is worth it and that it is useful info.

I have recently discovered a new little hammer plugin type thing called  "propper".
"propper" is an exe file and a fgd file that lets you do the brush work in Hammer and then compile it as if you were compiling a map (except with the "propper" settings on) and then once done compiling it makes it a model file and creates the qc file for it and the texture files for it and all the other stuff a model needs.

Although, it does take some preparation for it to work..
First you have to sort out the folders for it to compile the model files to
then you also have to texture it, but this can be done using the hammer texturing system (Texture Application Tool)
it also requires to be setup in the compiler advanced options (F9 > Expert)

But once you get it working it is easy to use and a lot more easier to compile models if you were having troubles with compiling them before. (I got mine working in under 10 minutes)

You can also use Softimage Xsi modtool with the ValveSource Plugin / Addon  to  export a model created in  modtool  and export it as a vmf file into hammer, or the other way around exporting a vmf from Hammer into modtool.

Links:
propper - http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Propper
AutoDesk Softimage modtool 7.5 - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13571320
Softimage modtool 6.01 - http://www.moddb.com/downloads/xsi-mod-tool-601

(I personally prefer modtool version 6.01 (non autodesk))

But yeah.. hoped this helped and sorry again for the bump.

Surf ramp models?!?!

Offline uuk

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »
Yes it does work for surf ramps / models too!
I just tried it out, works like a normal hammer brush surframp would work.

Offline TehChaoZ

• Ssssssss..
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
I keep getting an error when compiling my brush with propper.... soo annoying, and yes ive read the wiki page, it doesn't give much help or else its just me whos dumb and cant see it

Offline Black Sheep

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »
Surf ramp models will work only if it is the one piece that makes the whole ramp
Don't try doing a whole ramp because the episode 1 engine can only have 20 concave pieces for a collision mesh

Offline uuk

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 03:56:42 AM »
I keep getting an error when compiling my brush with propper.... soo annoying, and yes ive read the wiki page, it doesn't give much help or else its just me whos dumb and cant see it

Did you create a folder for your materials to be compiled to?
also make sure the info_prop_options 's  path settings are set right too (material path, model path etc.)