Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surf_Vector  (Read 9091 times)

Offline Spike

• View Profile
Surf_Vector
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:12:27 PM »
Hey!

Thought i'd actually do a post seens ive been visitng this forum since it nearly started ^^

This was a few stages and a spawn i done in my spare time when i became bored and wanted to try out my skills at mapping.. i seemed to dislike the stages after a while and now im posting it on here to maybe let other people continue or use things from my stage. I know i know im so generous xD..

I dont actually know if i should continue doing stages like these for even some collabs.. if anyone wants to tell me what they think of the design and surf then leave a comment \

Thanks and enjoy..

p.s ive only been doing stuff on hammer a couple of times but nothing big so i KNOW i suck so - no hard comments please \

Sreenies ->

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

BSP -> http://rapidshare.com/files/191141157/surf_vector_update.bsp.html

VMF -> http://rapidshare.com/files/191142892/Surf_vector_update.vmf.html

Offline svbg869

• SolidSurf Elite
  • [insert witty comment hear]
    • View Profile
Re: Surf_Vector
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
damn from the pics i can see (I'm on the schools network some of them are blocked)
it looks pretty nice, good brush work, not all that original but still good
the best one is probably the bottom pic, good textures there, get some glass in there and it would be sick

also that's commonly a problem when testing your own surf, gets quite boring, just stick with it till it feels right

all in all not half bad looking, you have some potential, just keep at it

when i get home ill have to look at it in .vtf to see how optimized it is and then tell you about that.

Offline svbg869

• SolidSurf Elite
  • [insert witty comment hear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »
wow man, you really need to learn to optimize
firstly, it seems that you have a double wall thing going on, a skybox followed by a nodraw brush
this is not good at all
also
FUNC_DETAIL is your friend use it on EVERYTHING that is not touching the void (the black area)

it also seems that you used the carve tool, you really should not ever use it (i don't)
clip your brushes instead

back to the double wall thing you have hear
that is not how you nodraw, you nodraw by clicking on the texture application tool
then clicking on the face of a brush you want to nodraw (the side no one will see)
the holding the Ctrl key and clicking any other brush side WITHOUT moving the camera, and you change the texture to nodraw, that's just how i do it tho, there might be a way you find easier

ya it looks like you just in cased each separate level with skybox then nodraw brushes
this is bad mapping, and will slow your compile time

you really need to look at some optimization tuts

your brush work is pretty good, aside from the carve use
continue mapping, you have some potential, just have to find your own style

Offline WireleZz

• Internet prime business man
  • Surf_Fruits2? Wut O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
ok so yeah i think you realy shoud know how to optimize, the map looks good tho i think you shoud continue on it if you don't want to conintue on it you could just make 5 stages and leave it by that or somthing atleast try to release it, you will only find people that will give you feedback on your map but i don't think people will continue your map you made.

it's like eating candy and giving the last part of it to somone else... ^^

Anyways if your not planning to finish this or so you can always talk to me on steam if i have any collabs going on since i like your work you did here. read my signature here on this post and you can add me on steam.