Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surf Theory - The basic Elements  (Read 2635 times)

Offline SolidSurf

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Surf Bum
    • View Profile
Surf Theory - The basic Elements
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »
Map Concept Brainstorming

How Can a Surf Map be Dissected?

Major Elements:

* Visual Style
    * Gameplay Style
          o How difficult is it for the player to keep speed on the ramps?
          o What is the player's ultimate goal in the map?

How can or do these interact?

* Areas of a surf map?
          o Surf Ramps Area
          o Combat/Weapon/Sniping platforms
          o Spawn
          o Jail
                + Lower jail area, where fallen players are kept
                + Upper jail area, where players who completed the map have some sort of upper hand.
                + There may be many layers of upper and lower jail areas
          o End

* Can or have these types of areas affect and/or interact with the other areas. How is game play governed by each?
          o What state is the player in in each area?

* Jail or no jail/prison system

* Type of jail
        * Combat or no? Most skill maps that have a jail area do not allow for combat.

* What are the objectives of the map?
    * Likeany other map type in CS:S, the objective is ultimately to be on thewinning team. Some map types (skill maps) are less team oriented.

Current gameplay styles:

* Race
          o Can have one path or many to one or many ends
          o Most allow the player, upon reaching the end, to either:
                + Replay the map - Teleport back to spawn area
                + Go to the map's jail area, where the player has a high ground over the players trapped in jail
                + Players are usually given a good weapon upon completion of the map
          o Objectiveis usually to gain control of the jail area as quickly as possible,though many of these maps can be played simply to enjoy surfing to theend.
          o Ramps in these maps are rarely too difficult for an experienced surfer to conquer easily.
          o Higher rewards may be given for reaching more difficult places
                + Better weapons
                + Location in the jail with a higher combative advantage.
                + Jail kill systems or release systems
          o Kill or release systems may or may not be team-specific. Made possible by the filter_activator_team entity.
          o Mapsof this type are usually walled off to restrict the player's ability tomove freely, and this can also limit the amount of the map that needsto be rendered while the player surfs.
          o A good, classic example of this type of map is surf_rebel_resistance and its variants

* Arena
          o Usually consist of an open area, allowing for combat to take place freely throughout the map
          o Shotguns are usually the weapon of choice for smaller arena maps.
          o Most popular area maps have a few similarattributes: spawn is usually the highest or second highest point in amap, with jail usually being the lowest point, no places that make aplayer "invincible", and are either symmetrical or resemble two circles pushed together like a figure 8
          o Common problems with arena maps:
                + Roundtime can be very long if the players continue surfing and refuse tofight. Arena maps are especially susceptible to this because playersare often able to surf indefinitely.
          o Examples: surf_superk, surf_ny_bigloop, surf_greatriver

* Skill
          o Often a sequence of small, difficult-to-complete sections of surf area
          o Combat is not allowed in the surf areas. These maps usually strip all weapons from the player when they spawn.
          o Combat usually takes place in jail, where players are either given weapons or forced to wait out their impending doom.
          o Areas can be made difficult in a variety of ways
                + Longer space between ramps
                + Oddly shaped or angled ramps and jumps
                + Long periods of air time that require the player to maneuver around walls or other obstructions
                + More to come Be creative.
          o Example: surf_commune and variants/sequels

Types of ramps and ramp structures - Are we going to link to tutorials? The good detailed ones that we approve of, of course.

* Basic straight ramp
    * Smooth ramps
    * Ramp loops
    * Ramp jump
    * Roosta's 3 way ramp don't even think of asking me how to do this one. Found in surf_roundabout http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/21642
    * Inverted Ramp or V ramp
          o It's wise to cut out (carving or otherwise) a portion of the bottom of these ramps
    * Surf obstructions Objects in the surf area that will stop or severely slow the player

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
Re: Surf Theory - The basic Elements
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »
You forgot:

* FAJ mapping techniques
          o Moving shit
                    + Use a bunch of moving shit

Offline hellraisedsurfer

• Playing as: DoctorEpic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
well explained concept:) nice one...

-FAJ its always epic to add moving stuff, unless its the ramps \
It took a lot of complicated incest to produce the Buckaj 

Offline Sangfroid

• ~Kyuun~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
i thought of a style of combat gameplay that might be interesting if someone was to give it a try. i don't think it's been done before, not specifically anyway. well, i'm sure you know most de_ maps have multiple paths to the bomb areas, and connecting to each teams spawn. i thought it would be cool to isolate the areas (bombsite/spawn) and use surf to connect them in multiple paths in a way that players can surf each path back and forth. i guess in order for that to be possible there needs to be a trigger_push, maybe 2 filtered pushes changing direction for the players estimated direction (i've seen this in one of ryan's maps iirc). i think it would work best if the isolated areas were large with little surf and many defensive objects. i know there have been de_ style maps, but i haven't enjoyed any, i think this style would be a better implementation. it will be really hard to put together successfully, opting for via-teleport paths would just be cheating, so they'd have to be connected carefully and planned. hurts just thinking about it. oh well, the ideas there, probably tl;dr but w/e.

edit: eek~ my posts are so presence-less, even i felt like skipping over it, and there weren't any more below!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:14:51 PM by Sangfroid »

~i copied this from someone else. it's awesome~

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
Knoop tried that with routkanal. To make it more like a de_ map and less like a big open surf arena, it needs to be contrained with walls and/or slower speeds. It is a hard balance to acheive, and surfers probably won't like it. Trying to cut down on the physical walking around is tough one too.

I don't think it is impossible to make it work, but there is not much payoff if you were to get it right.

Offline hellraisedsurfer

• Playing as: DoctorEpic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:47:23 PM »
i guess it wouldnt be played that much, everytime a surfmap comes up and theres a bombsite, ppl starts raging if someone plants the bomb.... still it could be a neat map,
It took a lot of complicated incest to produce the Buckaj