Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hub vs Linear Structure for skill surfs  (Read 2805 times)

Offline SintaxError

• Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • There's an error in your sintax.
    • View Profile
    • SolidSurf
Hub vs Linear Structure for skill surfs
« on: May 05, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »
Alright, since I like nothing more than to rant about how much I dislike skill maps and why I hate them, here goes another one...

I think the linear nature of a lot of skill maps takes the fun out of them.  Players that don't have skills don't want to play because they're lucky to get past the first ramp in some maps - never mind the first level.  And, well, fuck that.

Admittedly, I can't say for sure that I know this hasn't been done before, but I've never seen anything like it.  Instead of having maps where less-skilled players are stuck on the first level, with the tedium of the whole thing building their stress higher and higher, I propose a map with a hub area where players go when they fall.  This hub would have open doors to completed levels.  So, players can repeat a map if they want to practice it, or they can move when the more skilled players in the server complete a map.

You could have a few variations of this, such as:
  • Players can only do maps that were completed. First level is always open.  Players in the uncompleted section would fall to the beginning of that section, or back to the hub if you want to be evil
  • Players can do any map that's been completed, plus the one that hasn't.
  • Players are all teleported to the level that hasn't been completed
  • Available levels depend on team
  • Use your imaginations

Some of those variations could work to increase competition too.  This way, it's not possible (or at least less likely) for one person to zip through the map with everyone stuck on the first level without a fighting chance.  It's good to note though, that a leader should always be leading until he screws up and falls in all of the above scenarios.  In all of those scenarios, the first person to finish a section of surf is the first person able to surf the next section, so someone who never falls will still be leading the game and first to finish.

I'm I could say more if I had a bit of time, but this should be enough to start a good discussion.  \

Offline Daaniel

• View Profile
Re: Hub vs Linear Structure for skill surfs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:12:02 AM »
Variations of this have definitely been done before.  Ryan's maps elements and 2012 are probably the best examples.  I like this style though.

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:14:10 AM »
"I think the linear nature of a lot of skill maps takes the fun out of them." First let me say a few words on this, though I'm no trying to attack you nor am I stating my opinion about skill maps.

It is only your opinion that skill maps take the fun out of surf. The reason you feel this way is because you have experienced surf during the early stages when it was completely different. However, if you ask people that have started surfing after skill surf has evolved to what it is today, they will state that they absolutely love it and when you give them a more old school type of map, they will automatically disregarded and consider it not fun. They might not tell you how they feel in words but by seeing how maps are RTV'd on servers, you can tell that people want to play skill maps.....in part due to the fact that that's all they have ever known. (Also when you try to make a different type of map its not played as much as a generic skill map)
However some people may find the challenge it self fun. All of this is probably due to the fact that they haven't experienced surf the way it was before. Admittedly I did had more fun surfing in the old days than now, but that doesn't mean that skill takes the fun out of surf for everyone. (Its like saying mathematics makes a subject less enjoyable... which seems to be the case in the area I live in... while for some mathematics may make the subject more enjoyable because they enjoy the additional mental challenge)

Okay so about your idea: I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at.
Are you proposing to over come the fact that players are stuck on the first level without a choice? Well this has basically been done in surf_elements where you surf whatever stage you want. Also it has been done in sort of in 2012.

I my self have made a little "addon" with stripper source to surf_ny_advance where I have created a "practice mode" in which players are able to practice whichever stage they want without affecting the gameplay of the map. I also made a map system in which players are allowed to complete an X amount of levels in which ever order they want. (similar to elements but elements works is based on teams completing the stages)

So maps like this have basically been done but I'm confused what you are getting at with the hub system. A more elaborate practice mode type of thing?

-Daniel stated the two examples that I have written about as well while I was typing this thing up.

Edit: I also proposed something of that nature here: http://forums.solidsurf.info/index.php/topic,2831.0.html
Where a linear surf map has sort of the elements of a staged map but in which these stages are all interconnected and the order in which they can be completed is at the players discretion.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:19:53 AM by unt0uch4bl3 »

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »
surf_ny_arena_v666 will likely be in public beta tonight.

Works with a hub, where all levels are open. You choose which to complete. The highest level that you complete when the timer is up determines how well equipped you are in the arena.

There is a special extra level to entertain people who beat the hardest level first in one shot, so they dont stand around with nothing better to do.

Is that a sort of hub-skill map?

Offline svbg869

• SolidSurf Elite
  • [insert witty comment hear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:47:05 AM »
i had a simular idea, team based
but the levels kind of opend up, as in, after finishing the level the first time, a wall somewhere along that level would open, creating more surf
same basic idea, players can only play on unlocked levels, up to the next level to unlock

Offline SintaxError

• Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • There's an error in your sintax.
    • View Profile
    • SolidSurf
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
surf_ny_arena_v666 will likely be in public beta tonight.

Works with a hub, where all levels are open. You choose which to complete. The highest level that you complete when the timer is up determines how well equipped you are in the arena.

There is a special extra level to entertain people who beat the hardest level first in one shot, so they dont stand around with nothing better to do.

Is that a sort of hub-skill map?

That sounds pretty crazy.  How do you keep player-specific info?

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:06:52 PM »
Targetname is separate from their actual name. So you can set a clients 'targetname'. So when they beat a level, you can set their targetname, and then filter by it.