Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sup guys...  (Read 7455 times)

Offline Sl4sh3r

• View Profile
    • Extreme Gamers Inc.
Sup guys...
« on: May 15, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
Long time no talk...
lol

Anyway, I'm sorry I've been gone for a while. I was finishing up this semester of school and trying to figure out what I'm actually doing with my life. Many of you have posted about resetting the server or getting rid of checkpoints etc. I've taken these all into consideration but one thing still bugs me.... No one donates. I don't surf much anymore and EGI is far from being resurrected. I've spent countless hours managing the server and writing the code for the server and I've spent hundreds keeping the server open for everyone. Over the winter for I believe 2-3 months the server was paid for, but before that and since then I've been paying for it. The server costs $25 a month. I am no longer willing to pay for it.  Now, if people do start donating I plan on making a few changes to it.  World records would stay but every 2 months ALL other records would be reset.  Instead of the world record showing at the beginning of each map it would show the most recent record.  Some of you might not like this but it's the simplest way to keep lag down on the server.  I could off-site the database but that would take more time to do than it's worth.

June 11 the server is due for another payment. There is currently $0 in the paypal account. If you want to see the server stay alive donate! If I start seeing donations I'll start working on server changes immediately.

Post your thoughts.
Extreme Gamers Inc Servers:
Speed Surf PRO - 75.102.47.33:27015
Leader Boards
Surf RPG|DM - 75.102.47.7:27015

ŧPW | Bravesurf: ur like a living wiki with an awesome search function

Offline spoz

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT DICKNOSE?
    • View Profile
    • Line12
Re: Sup guys...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
Depending on how you access the database, I'd be willing to host it. The only problem is that my host doesn't allow direct DB access from remote hosts, so you'd probably have to use fsock to push data
But if u really wanna see a screwed up map take a look at that greatriver awesome 1... freaked the shit out of me... its like a child molestation adventure.....

Offline Daaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
Its hard to justify sending money to a server that has had minimal maintenance for the past few months.  I understand what you're saying, but until you actually prove that you're going to start working on the server again you probably shouldn't expect anyone to start donating.

Offline Chuck Norris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »
If everybody has the same opinion like you the server will be closed soon. Someone has to do the first step. And i donīt think slasher is that one.
Like he said the server is not open because he likes to surf on his own server. The server is open because he wants to give the community a great platform for surfing.

But anyways when you close the server maybe you should think of giving your timer to some other Server  \

Offline Exither.

• Modders
  • ŋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »
If everybody has the same opinion like you the server will be closed soon. Someone has to do the first step. And i donīt think slasher is that one.
Like he said the server is not open because he likes to surf on his own server. The server is open because he wants to give the community a great platform for surfing.

But anyways when you close the server maybe you should think of giving your timer to some other Server  \

I bet you dont mean the skillsurf-server :p

Offline Paul

• Blinky! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
Its hard to justify sending money to a server that has had minimal maintenance for the past few months.  I understand what you're saying, but until you actually prove that you're going to start working on the server again you probably shouldn't expect anyone to start donating.

Pretty much this...

Offline Sl4sh3r

• View Profile
    • Extreme Gamers Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »
Even when I did countless hours of maintenance on the server and wrote a whole new mod for the server, no one outside of EGI donated.  So I should continue to waste my time and money? Right... I have no patience for you people anymore.

Never mind. The server is being closed.

Thank you spoz for the offer and thank you for backing me up Chuck Norris but I'm done with this community.
Extreme Gamers Inc Servers:
Speed Surf PRO - 75.102.47.33:27015
Leader Boards
Surf RPG|DM - 75.102.47.7:27015

ŧPW | Bravesurf: ur like a living wiki with an awesome search function

Offline Daaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
Even when I did countless hours of maintenance on the server and wrote a whole new mod for the server, no one outside of EGI donated.  So I should continue to waste my time and money? Right... I have no patience for you people anymore.

Never mind. The server is being closed.

Thank you spoz for the offer and thank you for backing me up Chuck Norris but I'm done with this community.
Butthurt much?  I'm not bashing your mod, you've inspired people to try and make their own and really gave some new life to surf.  We're just being honest with you.  I play on your server all the time and will miss it.  But everyone has been expecting the server to go down for months because you never do anything.  Prove that its not going anywhere and people will probably donate.

Offline zeppelin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »
I pretty much agree with daniel, the server had one timer update in the last 3months and it was a minor one that wasn't even necessary (voteban). A few maps were added a month ago, but this server thrives on new maps being added upon release, which basically never happened during the latter parts of the servers existence. I would probably never donate to a server, but with how little this server is maintained the chances of donation are ever slimmer.

With that said, I don't think you should still pay for the server, you seemingly have zero interest in surf and I wouldn't expect you to continuously fork over the money and time to keep it up to date. Basically, as awesome as this mod was, it seems to have run its course. As dan said, the server will be missed, you did a good job revitalizing surf for a lot of people including myself.

Perhaps you could add a message to the server telling all the people who still play there that it will indeed be going down, and let them know when.

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 11:09:58 AM »
EGI was the only server I enjoyed surfing on, this sucks D:
Why do all good things come to an end, WHY??! \
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline Absolute

• 1+1=10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
Why do all good things come to an end, WHY??! \
where?

Offline bravesurf

• Yarly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 11:49:38 AM »
Slasher!=) good to see you online again..
I see what you mean, paying for a server which you dont have time to play on and maintain, is just money down the drain.
As the summer is coming up, I will probably not be doing a lot of playing, but resurrecting the server when autumn and winter comes along would be nice, I'd pay for that to happen. As for the summer, you could try to find someone whom you trust and who has experience with scripting who you could give the surftimer to.
That would make a lot of people happy =) or, like spoz suggested, let him maintain the EGI server.

Hope to see you online a bit more in the future \

Offline Orange

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:40:11 PM »
Sl4sh3r, this is what I have to say to you.
I don't know how many years you have been managing or owning a server but its never been a profitable process - or even a break even process. Mostly its been a charity of time and money. Money problems are overcome sometimes but it only works out well for the big boys - with the big servers, the big communities and the actively participating administrators. I'm sure you do realize this but somehow you are in denial and instead you are trying to seek praise (in the form of money) for all your work from a small group of individuals.

This is only a game, mostly played by kids with no means of owning electronic form money nor the maturity to appreciate something to a great extent.

Having said that, I think its pretty ridiculous you are acting the way you are. Its only a game dude, if you don't have the time... don't play the game. Its as simple as that.

Besides someone can make a new surftimer, its not a big deal. Like all things, it just requires some time.

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 12:52:56 PM »
People wouldn't even put up a dollar, to help keep this site up for an entire year. You can 100% count on people never giving money over the internet for a charity, even if the charity benefits them.

I never played on the EGI server, but it seems to have been a good time for a lot of people. If you are doing it as a charity, but don't have the time for it anymore: then don't do it. If you are running the server for any other reason than charity or because you enjoy it, then you should shut it down anyways. Keep your ego in check.

Offline Paul

• Blinky! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
As for the summer, you could try to find someone whom you trust and who has experience with scripting who you could give the surftimer to.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha! That'll be the day...

Offline Chuck Norris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
I hope there is a way you can keep EGI alive. Not that i need it i have my own server with alot of Problems but in my opinion with the dead of EGI Skillsurf dies a bit more and a bit faster.
I donīt think that EGI has run itīs course. I have seen what happens to a server with and without timer. My server was always full when i had a surftimer. Now there are mostly like 3 or 4 guys surfing on my Server. There are always people at EGI (like 8 - 16) and i donīt think they are only on the Server because they think they become cooler then.
If you will not change your mind then you should think of giving the timer to someone else. Making a surftimer is not that easy. It took slasher years to reach that point and there are only a hand full of people with the knowledge you need to program a timer.
It would be a waste of time when the timer is gone forever.
Take spoz or bravesurfs proposal into consideration.

Offline Habitat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »
This goes back to October slasher when you were gonna charge I think it was 2 dollars for the !teleport command. I told you it would be unfair. I told you no one would buy it. And I told you, you would get alot of people to the server if it was free. And well that server had 16 people almost 20 hours a day.

Now to the point. It took us 4 people. 200 Messages. A couple steam phone callings to get you too ad Eight maps. You then proceeded to tell me and zeppelin ill brb dinner arrived. Five hours later you returned saying ill add the rest tomorrow. Well tomorrow was 5 weeks ago. Why the hell would you expect people to donate to a server that has an amazing mod BUT has an owner that wont add maps, fix server lag (its so brutal now that everyone has quit except euros) an owner that comes on once a month to say ill fix it tomorrow and comes back next month and says the same thing and never does it.

Ive moved on I wont miss the server but for god sake dont come here asking for money when you do nothing to it anymore. Maybe if this was made in october you would get donations just like I suggested adding a pay money for admin thing but nope you dont trust anyone.

Time to eat brb

Offline Evening

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 05:37:18 PM »
...1 month later...

Offline Orange

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »
This goes back to October slasher when you were gonna charge I think it was 2 dollars for the !teleport command. I told you it would be unfair. I told you no one would buy it. And I told you, you would get alot of people to the server if it was free. And well that server had 16 people almost 20 hours a day.

Now to the point. It took us 4 people. 200 Messages. A couple steam phone callings to get you too ad Eight maps. You then proceeded to tell me and zeppelin ill brb dinner arrived. Five hours later you returned saying ill add the rest tomorrow. Well tomorrow was 5 weeks ago. Why the hell would you expect people to donate to a server that has an amazing mod BUT has an owner that wont add maps, fix server lag (its so brutal now that everyone has quit except euros) an owner that comes on once a month to say ill fix it tomorrow and comes back next month and says the same thing and never does it.

Ive moved on I wont miss the server but for god sake dont come here asking for money when you do nothing to it anymore. Maybe if this was made in october you would get donations just like I suggested adding a pay money for admin thing but nope you dont trust anyone.

Time to eat brb

So true, Slasher is the master of delay.
I like the irony in there lol.

Offline Habitat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »
back from eating

Offline Power-Fusion

• The Local Nudist
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Hot Dickings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 06:15:24 AM »
find a way to get more involved, ive offered the help i could, but you would rather see your balls go to someone else over your script, even then, just find a way to get more involved to keep the server moving, not as in money, but as in adding the requirements for the maps etc. The server would be able to grow alot more if a few changes were made, which you seem to be looking into, but you really need to open up more, or maby, come online more?
spoz: I like my women how i like my filesystems... FAT and 16

Offline WireleZz

• Internet prime business man
  • Surf_Fruits2? Wut O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
Hello Slasher,

I heard from alot of people you would never give out to anyone your surf timer script you made.
People gave me your steam account, i did add you on steam friends a while back but people also said to me you would never be online or give it to anyone.

I really like the servers of EGI & Ksf, those surf timers are just great but you see i'm from holland and my ping isn't very good on those USA servers so i tought why don't i make a server located in the UK where my ping is below 40.

So now ive got this new SURF Server for my clan called Serenity Surf but a friend of mine is editing the climbtimer to turn it into surf but my worry is that it won't be as good as the EGI Server.

So my question is if your able to give your surf timer to me, so i could continue to use it on my own server?

I can't donate you to keep your server alive i'm very sorry that had to happen for you.

But i could Change my server name into like:  =EGI= Speed Surf PRO [66Tick] By Serenity Surf
And you will also be having my ftp acces.

So i could like support your Community to keep it alive but it won't be located in the USA anymore it would be in the UK.

Tell me what you think about it.

I don't think i'll have any chance of getting it tbh, but if you don't try you will never know.

Posted by,
WireleZz

btw this is the server in the UK i'm trying to build with a surf timer:
89.238.160.38:27016 (server located in the UK)

This is another community i support to keep being alive:
213.163.65.93:27015 (server located in holland)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:34:24 PM by WireleZz »

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »
... but is wirelezz someone you can trust with not giving leaking the timer \

Offline WireleZz

• Internet prime business man
  • Surf_Fruits2? Wut O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »
... but is wirelezz someone you can trust with not giving leaking the timer \

Idk if i'm trusted by anyone thats what everybody can say for them selfs.

I might be hard somtimes on people when i do my collabs even tho i don't map but i keep the stages with me that have been made untill i have all the stages and pick a trusted person out to compleet the map for me.

If i wans't trusted i could also of like collect so manny stages and put my name in everystage instead of the real owners ^^

ok whatever im just saying bullshit right now..

You either trust me or you don't it's everyones own choice. xD

edit:

I just heard from a friend of mine (i'm not saying any names that would be disrespectfull) but he said that slasher frist hated ksf and banned all ksf members on the EGI Server, Slasher if you want me to do that aswel on the UK server if you would give the surftimer that i would not do it, becouse some people from the ksf server are friends of mine but some are real dicks i do have to say that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:47:22 PM by WireleZz »

Offline T!cK

• did you really?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »
Idk if i'm trusted by anyone thats what everybody can say for them selfs.

I might be hard somtimes on people when i do my collabs even tho i don't map but i keep the stages with me that have been made untill i have all the stages and pick a trusted person out to compleet the map for me.

If i wans't trusted i could also of like collect so manny stages and put my name in everystage instead of the real owners ^^

ok whatever im just saying bullshit right now..

You either trust me or you don't it's everyones own choice. xD

edit:

I just heard from a friend of mine (i'm not saying any names that would be disrespectfull) but he said that slasher frist hated ksf and banned all ksf members on the EGI Server, Slasher if you want me to do that aswel on the UK server if you would give the surftimer that i would not do it, becouse some people from the ksf server are friends of mine but some are real dicks i do have to say that.

Necro fucking this thead ;

Slasher was never on the server to ban any ksf members, not many ksf played there at the time.