Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Portal 2 Surf  (Read 5100 times)

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
Portal 2 Surf
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
What do you guys think? I've been watching some of the new portal 2 videos with all these new gameplay mechanics which could really spice up surfing. The aerial faith plates can probably be used at the start of surfs to get instant speed or anywhere else to change momentum/get more speed. I also think the gel would have many uses in surf. Bouncing off walls on the blue gel so you don't fall down and running across the red gel to get enough speed for a long jump would be really fun. The crushing spiked walls could also make some epic timing jumps in surf. I think it would also be possible to use the other mechanics to open doors or set up gel to get past later parts in the surf.

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/media_14.php
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:20:28 PM by Panzerhandschuh »

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 Surf
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »
Holy christ, they have some bad ass ideas for portal 2... anyway, I think all of those things could be used in surfing...

Offline Paul

• Blinky! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »
Could be interesting using an infinite fall then launching off a wall to get the speed you need for a stage, too bad you can't surf in portal. \

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
Get sourcemod, sm_cvar sv_airaccelerate 100

Offline Knife

• Jerker
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Stay Classy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
Get sourcemod, sm_cvar sv_airaccelerate 100
Who's to say that will work?
Why so Ryan?

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »
wow really? i think there are some pretty awesome ideas in portal 2... i was smiling while watching all those preview videos haha... im definitely going to buy it, and surfing with all that stuff would = epic

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
wow really? i think there are some pretty awesome ideas in portal 2... i was smiling while watching all those preview videos haha... im definitely going to buy it, and surfing with all that stuff would = epic
Also a trick map with all that stuff would be pretty epic too.  I think portal 2 is extremely innovative, you could probably incorporate a lot of those ideas into CSS, just using triggers and logic and shit.

Example; repulsion gel (correct?) could simply be created by using a trigger push and some decals on the ground.
Along with the other stuff which I don't have time to look at because I work in like 7 minutes.

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
I've done something like the repulsion gel in one of my unfinished surf maps and it didn't work very well. The magnitude of the push was too inconsistant and it was very hard to balance out where to put surf ramps or other obstacles after it. I just ended up scrapping the stage.

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
i also think these portal additions would make absolutely amazing maps of other styles.. if anyone here played custom maps on SC brood war, you might know about bounding.. i consider it a parallel community to surfers because it was all the creative people who used the game engine to accomplish a different set of goals. in bounding, a mapper would set up a certain area with a grid of ground.. the edges of the separate grid squares were recognized by different textures, normally. The triggers were then applied to each specific square by the mapper to create a pattern that would have to be recognized by the player. certain squares would have an explosion, and any player in the square would die. obviously, the goal was to recognize the pattern of explosions as to avoid them while going through the grid. what made it so difficult? well, the latency delayed movement of the units under your control by about half a second, so you had to be incredibly coordinated. anyway, incredibly creative people were a part of this community, and i think similar things will be possible in portal2 (the video with the spikes of walls coming together, for instance, could serve as your "explosion"). i realize that it is possible to accomplish all of this on CSS, it just wouldnt really be the same lol)

video of bounding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4yu7AfqOXU
this is an example of some of the most insane bounding available... notice they are asian.

for funsies: you will see on the minimap of some of these maps there is an image. it is actually compiled of the stock textures for SC, and turned from an image into these textures with a very cool program, and hence it appears to be a picture when in reality it is just a ton of different texture pieces. =D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:55:33 PM by Jesuswashomeless »

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline spoz

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT DICKNOSE?
    • View Profile
    • Line12
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
Presuming DotA2 is on source, I want surfing on that
But if u really wanna see a screwed up map take a look at that greatriver awesome 1... freaked the shit out of me... its like a child molestation adventure.....

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »
Presuming DotA2 is on source, I want surfing on that

bad

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline hellraisedsurfer

• Playing as: DoctorEpic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »

+1 going to buy it the date it comes out \
It took a lot of complicated incest to produce the Buckaj 

Offline Power-Fusion

• The Local Nudist
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Hot Dickings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 08:12:16 PM »
actualy, gmod has the plates and gels in already, and ive been making mini maps on it with them :]
spoz: I like my women how i like my filesystems... FAT and 16