Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Single player maps.  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Egan

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio/Project Hub
Single player maps.
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:41:41 AM »
I've been reading a lot about single player discussion recently, and I think that's what I'd like to make rather than surf this time. Or I was actually thinking making a simple arena/linear combo and adding a secret that uses my single player idea.

Specifically I'd try to make a single player map for TF2, because -quite frankly- it's never really been done. The closest might be Steaks' 'The Great Class Dash'.(link)

The idea I've had for a bit now is actually related a lot to a ps2 title called 'Sly Cooper'. Back in April (or something like that) I created a small map using the idea, and it kinda worked. I just need to know if other people would find it as interesting as I do.

The game would have a mission structure that sends the player around town to do theif like missions. Somehow I'd incorporate a shop into the level. Here you could buy different guns, or rather, different weapons. The problem with a game in a map is that you have no way to save the game. Also, in a valve map 'Thunder Mountain' for tf2, there is a couple of clocks at the end of the map that actually tell the real time of day. I was thinking of making the single player level change based on what time it is in real life. (Lights go on and off, env_lighting changes, percipitation, gates unlock, etc etc.

Picture related (The small map I made in April.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiMBnzi0P4 Sly Cooper Collection Trailer.

-Egan
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:54:24 AM by Egan »

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
Re: Single player maps.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »
Sounds really interesting, especially the content of the quote you put in there. I think you should go for it.
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline bravesurf

• Yarly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »
sounds nice.
you can do the warcraft frozen throne 3 way of saving progress on LAN maps tho. with codes. where you have keypads, where certain combinations work. then use math_counter to trigger levelups or whatever.. so like, if someone hits the right combination, it sends a value to the math_counter. or something like that. wouldn't be that hard.

good luck

Offline Power-Fusion

• The Local Nudist
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Hot Dickings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »
people would share em, and skip levels......
but awesome idea !! :]
spoz: I like my women how i like my filesystems... FAT and 16