Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Map system: Staged/Skill Map - Choose your stage order  (Read 6027 times)

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
Map system: Staged/Skill Map - Choose your stage order
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:54:03 PM »
Originally intended for a skill map with many stages. I made this a little over a year ago and its just been sitting in my maps folder.

This system will allow the player to choose whatever order they like to complete the stages in instead of having the mapper force the order. (Mappers usually make stage 1 the easiest then stage 2 gets harder etc.)

This system was intended for two maps that just didn't happen and now its completely useless. So I will release it and maybe someone can get some ideas from it for other projects.

The system supports 20 stages and 50 players per round (this allows people to die + respawn but after 50 players have spawned, no more players will be supported and any new players will be slayed. The round will need to be restarted so map is refreshed since each player's progress needs to be tracked)

Upon completion of a stage you will get a message telling you how many stages you have remaining:

Since there are so many stages, you may forget which one you finished and which one you haven't. So to fix this problem, the teleporter will NOT teleport you if you completed the stage and instead show you this message:

Upon completion of the last stage you will get teleported above the room in this test environment and you will be given this message:

This is how the test environment looks like. Potentially a spawn for a real map should have a similar easily accessible layout with images showing which stage is which:

The system eats a lot of ent data but as you all should know, you can go above 100% safely:

Download (vmf + bsp): I used komaokc's wood textures to make it aesthetically pleasing while I was working on it so you may be missing them.
http://www.solidfiles.com/d/6e89/

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
Re: Map system: Staged/Skill Map - Choose your stage order
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
cool! How does it work?

Does it give player a name keyvalue based on the levels they have beaten? You probably have a more elgant system than that; that would be a LOT of combinations!

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »
Well in the last picture, you see all of my entities. Those are filter_activator_name entities along with filter_multi.

When a player beats a stage, the filter_activator_name is modified. This is the way I keep track of which stages were completed or not. There are also math counters which keep track of how many stages were completed so far.

When you get home if you are interested, download and run the bsp in css. You will see that the teleporter does not teleport you if you completed the stage or it does teleport you if you haven't completed it. This is why I went with filter_activator_names as my data storing entity.

The filter_multis help in the filtering of the teleport trigger as you know you can only set one filter per trigger_teleport.

It is really not as simple as it sounds. I don't think I can eve recreate it from scratch without looking at the vmf right now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:10:55 PM by unt0uch4bl3 »

Offline Egan

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio/Project Hub
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
So you still have as many triggers for the number of doors. For like combonations?

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »
You have 1 teleport trigger per door. Thats it.

Offline svbg869

• SolidSurf Elite
  • [insert witty comment hear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:59:14 PM »
oh damn, this makes me want to pick hammer up again

its all your fault untouchable
all your fault.

Offline Exither.

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »
you sir, are fucking incredible crazy (dunno if this makes any sence)

I once had this idea too but I never thought that a map would need that much entities.

I'm lucky that I have never tried this xD \

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »
Oh wow @ the last screenshot. Exactly how many entities did that take you? The idea sounds really good and useful, but can't it be implemented in the script(s) you're running with the server? I can imagine that many people won't even considder using this because of the many entities and the complicity of it.

You are without doubt the king of entity work!
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
The idea is essentially simple. All those entities are just copies of each other. It wouldn't matter if I had 1 row or 20. Nothing about it is complicated.

For example take this simple idea: using filter_multi to filter 5 things in a trigger_teleport. This will allow you to filter 5 players using a single trigger but you need to filter all 50 players (based on their targetname)

What I did to filter the trigger_teleport with 50 filter_activator_names (which are needed to check based on what player you are if you completed the stage or not) is used a filter_multi to filter 2 other filter multi, which each filter 10 filter_multi combined. These 10 filter multi each have space for 5 filters and they filter the 50 filter_activator_names combined which store the data in a true/false fashion.

Then this setup was duplicated 20 times for 20 stages and boom. Basic idea hiding behind a stack of entities.

This doesn't come anywhere near to coding in an actual language. All this essentially is, is manipulating the very little tools you have to accomplish something slightly complex.

Edit: To be exact, 1364 filter entities and 52 math counters. 20 trigger_teleports and 20 trigger_multiple to display hud messages (trigger_teleports could be used for this but I wanted the hud messages to show up further away from the door way itself).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:32:52 PM by unt0uch4bl3 »

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
(Mappers usually make stage 1 the easiest then stage 2 gets harder etc.)

So what you're saying is that you wouldn't mind it if mappers trash the idea of stage 1 being the easiest and the last stage the hardest? I've been  thinking about doing this too, but eventually stopped. Making stage 1 the hardest would sound stupid..
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 08:36:50 PM »
So what you're saying is that you wouldn't mind it if mappers trash the idea of stage 1 being the easiest and the last stage the hardest? I've been  thinking about doing this too, but eventually stopped. Making stage 1 the hardest would sound stupid..

What are you talking about? The purpose of this system is to allow the player (each player individually) complete the stages in the order they wish. This way the mapper wouldn't make stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 etc. He would simply make stages with no specific order and the order will be up to the player.

This is not supposed to be used with any mod like the surftimer etc. This was made to be used in old fashion skill surf servers that have a round time of 5 minutes.

Offline hellraisedsurfer

• Playing as: DoctorEpic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »
epic system unt0uch:)

was this the system supposed to be used on Mash-Up? or?
It took a lot of complicated incest to produce the Buckaj 

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »
epic system unt0uch:)

was this the system supposed to be used on Mash-Up? or?

... at one point in its development ...

Offline hellraisedsurfer

• Playing as: DoctorEpic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 08:43:22 AM »

... at one point in its development ...

okay :p i believe it would make one epic system:)
It took a lot of complicated incest to produce the Buckaj 

Offline silverlol

• super mapper!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »
untouch, you are amazing.

Offline pand3mic

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 05:10:06 AM »