Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Editing Portal 2 textures  (Read 12172 times)

Offline spoz

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT DICKNOSE?
    • View Profile
    • Line12
Editing Portal 2 textures
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:37:23 AM »
As Valve have updated the VTF spec for portal 2 all editing apps are currently incompatible with the revision (including the photoshop VTF plugin), so we're going to need to make a small change to make it work.

Start off by extrating the textures from the vpk using GCFscape, remember to open pak01_dir.vpk and not any others.

If you're using VTFEdit you'll get the following error.

You're going to need to download a hex editor, any one will work but I prefer to use xvi32. Extract the editor to where ever you want and open up your extracted texture in it. You'll get something like this.

Look for "05" in the top row, its almost always the 9th byte and I'm yet to find a file where it's not. Change this to 04 and save the file.

Then open up the texture again and it should work. Remember if you're editing the file for use in game, you'll need to revert the byte before loading it into Portal 2
But if u really wanna see a screwed up map take a look at that greatriver awesome 1... freaked the shit out of me... its like a child molestation adventure.....

Offline Lightning

• There's no need to elaborate.
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Portal 2 textures
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
Spoz...you´re a genius ! Thank you for that.

Offline Skittl35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:25:14 PM »
oooo I hope somebody releases a map based on portal 2.  A map not as annoying as the one based on portal 1  \

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »
The newest version of vtfedit supports 7.5: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=42

Offline spoz

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT DICKNOSE?
    • View Profile
    • Line12
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:06:31 PM »
I downloaded it a matter of hours ago and I got that error \
But if u really wanna see a screwed up map take a look at that greatriver awesome 1... freaked the shit out of me... its like a child molestation adventure.....

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »
Strange, they open fine for me. Also check this out: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=16903