Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[May 29, 2017, 03:03:43 PM] Orange: Wtf is this shit

[May 29, 2017, 03:04:35 PM] Orange: I just arrived at work for a 3 hour shift

[May 29, 2017, 03:26:30 PM] Orange: And they tell me that theres nothing to do for the first 2 hours

[May 29, 2017, 03:26:44 PM] Orange: Im literally getting paid to do nothing

[May 30, 2017, 12:34:17 AM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: sounds like my job

[June 03, 2017, 01:06:15 PM] Knife: Rayan

[June 03, 2017, 01:07:05 PM] Knife: Does anyone know who made skyworld, leet, and gauntlet? 

[June 04, 2017, 03:48:52 AM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: some niggy from brokensurf

[June 04, 2017, 03:48:52 AM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: ~_~

[June 10, 2017, 07:23:25 PM] fr3shz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skegrTvlu-Q

[June 12, 2017, 08:39:53 PM] Kiiru: sweet

[June 14, 2017, 05:12:01 PM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: wew

Author Topic: Re: Surf_Chess  (Read 17315 times)

Online S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
Re: Surf_Chess
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure he's going to do things his own way (which is totally fine).  From day one he's mapped with the kind of surf he's best at (close quarters, tight turns, etc.).  I warned him the public may not be so fond of it but he's stuck with it.  More power to him.
>stuck with an unfortunate skill
>more power to him
>no

But whatever man.  Why even come to a surf forum if you aren't going to to take the advice of people with experience.  If you're just going to defy everyone who is trying to give legit advice, then don't even bother making an account here.  God damn.

Offline iJezus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
>more power to him
>no

But whatever man.  Why even come to a surf forum if you aren't going to to take the advice of people with experience.  If you're just going to defy everyone who is trying to give legit advice, then don't even bother making an account here.  God damn.
Do you even play css?

Offline Horizon_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »
>more power to him
>no

Im here to take usefull advice. " use ducks" or "dont do spirals" isnt very good

Offline Helix

• ASOT 600!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
Im here to take usefull advice. " use ducks" or "dont do spirals" isnt very good

Just make whatever you want man. If you want advice, then ask questions.

[spoiler]still, spirals are overused as fuck and can be seen in 9/10 of all maps which is annoying. Stop making those (a message to everyone) they suck and are annoying and they suck. Oh yeah, they suck.[/spoiler]

Offline Skittl35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »
>more power to him
>no

He takes advice.  Like I said earlier, his texture scheme was annoying, so he softened it a bit.  Maybe if we advise him on things to do, rather than not to do he'll be more open to what we say.  Like when you suggested making the map into a chess game.

Offline SKAR

• THE ONE AND ONLY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »
spirals are gr8

Offline .:Deadeye:.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »

Online S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »
Do you even play css?
Edit:  NOPE. I just have 2,550 hours of CSS since 2005 for no reason at all.  In fact, I don't even know what CSS is.  What is a surf map?  What is going on here?  Why are you guys talking about spirals?

[/rage @ random scrub]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:46:58 PM by Ryan_S »

Offline bravesurf

• Yarly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

[spoiler]still, spirals are overused as fuck and can be seen in 9/10 of all maps which is annoying. Stop making those (a message to everyone) they suck and are annoying and they suck. Oh yeah, they suck.[/spoiler]
am i the only one that find it hilariously ironic that your name is Helix? :p

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
am i the only one that find it hilariously ironic that your name is Helix? :p

You probably were until I found out the meaning of the word Helix just now  \
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline iJezus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
Edit:  NOPE. I just have 2,550 hours of CSS since 2005 for no reason at all.  In fact, I don't even know what CSS is.  What is a surf map?  What is going on here?  Why are you guys talking about spirals?

[/rage @ random scrub]
The impression I get whenever I view these forums is that you haven't surfed since 2005, but just come on here to routinely post useless crap such as your post in the synchro thread:

Seriously? Surf timer maps are the standard for noob mappers now a days?... Fuck this thread, I'm out.

If you did actually still play CSS (which I doubt) you would probably realise that surf timer servers are popular, and consequently so are staged skill maps, with jails being largely redundant. There is literally no point making a complex jail when few people are going to play it. Sure, it gives the map standalone properties. BIG DEAL, it's a fucking jail, which boils down to various ways of whoever finishes killing everyone, it gets fucking old. Some of us play surf in order to surf, not to play random minigames, not to play shooting-styled css in jail, and certainly not to play fucking chess every round, you moron.

I'm just a bit unsure why you think people should spend hours making maps that will be a) unpopular and therefore b) rarely played. To me (and everyone except you, apparently) it seems rather pointless.

As far as I can tell you post on this forum solely to stroke your own ego and tell everyone how cool you are since you made maps during the "golden age" of surf (before you try and deny this by saying you never explicitly stated your maps were good, you don't need to, your endless bitching about how maps were so much better in 2005 is a pretty clear indication of it.) In reality, most of your maps are boring, ugly, and rather uncreative. They might be "original", but only because you were an early surf mapper. I'm not sure I've played all your maps (since not many people play them), but from the ones I have, none of the obstacles or jails or anything you've used has been particularly creative or interesting, and I'm sure pretty much anyone who makes maps would think to do them without necessarily having played your maps first.

You have an extremely high opinion of yourself for someone whose only claim to fame is having made maps in the same time period that FAJ and Buck were making their ones. (Again, look at the synchro thread, no one gives a shit if you are "out" of the thread. You never added anything to it in the first place.)

Offline Horizon_

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 07:26:30 AM »

I actually do need some advice, becuase as you can see in the picture stage 2 ending, the ramp is dark, only the tip is lightened up. But i have lights arround the ramp. Ive already redid that ramp and the lights 20 times and nothing helps.  \

Offline Rapsodia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
The impression I get whenever I view these forums is that you haven't surfed since 2005, but just come on here to routinely post useless crap such as your post in the synchro thread:

If you did actually still play CSS (which I doubt) you would probably realise that surf timer servers are popular, and consequently so are staged skill maps, with jails being largely redundant. There is literally no point making a complex jail when few people are going to play it. Sure, it gives the map standalone properties. BIG DEAL, it's a fucking jail, which boils down to various ways of whoever finishes killing everyone, it gets fucking old. Some of us play surf in order to surf, not to play random minigames, not to play shooting-styled css in jail, and certainly not to play fucking chess every round, you moron.

I'm just a bit unsure why you think people should spend hours making maps that will be a) unpopular and therefore b) rarely played. To me (and everyone except you, apparently) it seems rather pointless.

As far as I can tell you post on this forum solely to stroke your own ego and tell everyone how cool you are since you made maps during the "golden age" of surf (before you try and deny this by saying you never explicitly stated your maps were good, you don't need to, your endless bitching about how maps were so much better in 2005 is a pretty clear indication of it.) In reality, most of your maps are boring, ugly, and rather uncreative. They might be "original", but only because you were an early surf mapper. I'm not sure I've played all your maps (since not many people play them), but from the ones I have, none of the obstacles or jails or anything you've used has been particularly creative or interesting, and I'm sure pretty much anyone who makes maps would think to do them without necessarily having played your maps first.

You have an extremely high opinion of yourself for someone whose only claim to fame is having made maps in the same time period that FAJ and Buck were making their ones. (Again, look at the synchro thread, no one gives a shit if you are "out" of the thread. You never added anything to it in the first place.)

Well said.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:39:20 AM by Rapsodia »

Online S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »

Stroke my ego.  Lol.  Don't spend 2 hours on a response, it makes you look like an angry faggot.

Well said.

Why are you here Spaniard, didn't you quit like 9 times?

Offline Skittl35

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I actually do need some advice, becuase as you can see in the picture stage 2 ending, the ramp is dark, only the tip is lightened up. But i have lights arround the ramp. Ive already redid that ramp and the lights 20 times and nothing helps.  \

I had a look at them the other day - sorry I haven't been able to get back to you, I've actually been at work all day yesterday, and will be all day today (I'm actually at work right now).  My best guess for those ramps is that you're cutting the (intentionally) black parts too thin in some spots, causing the texture glitch. 

Offline Rapsodia

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
Why are you here Spaniard, didn't you quit like 9 times?

Yes, but i have returned 10 times  \
Don't you like Spain ??  \

Online S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »
Yes, but i have returned 10 times  \
Don't you like Spain ??  \
I love Spain!

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:00:20 AM »
If someone doesn't have an extremely high opinion of themselves, they are probably a female.

Online S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 01:23:54 AM »
If someone doesn't have an extremely high opinion of themselves, they are probably a female.
Well said \

Offline pand3mic

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 03:13:39 AM »
black and white textures look terribly ugly in my opinion, and plain-colored textures are impossible to get a sense of depth out of, that was the problem with surf_exxak
I don't want a signature

Offline bravesurf

• Yarly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »

I finally got some time to address this post. First off, you should read up on your facts before you start throwing things out there that are obviously wrong. Ryans can speak for himself, but I just want to say, at least he has made an impression at all. I mean, what makes you a viable shittalker? If you think a bit I'm sure you realize ryans' been making stuff for surf more recent than 2005.

Second, the main matter of this post, jails. In what way are jails redundant? Even looking away from the quite terrible word of choice, (redundant??) the statement is still wrong. The whole reason to have a jail, is to have an ending to a surfmap. An end with death and such resulting and a new round. I'm sure you're aware of this, unless you've only been surfing since the surftimer age (haaah! which I'm getting the impression of, giggle..jk) where everything's bright and shiny with all the fancy respawn functions and 5+ admins babysitting the server at any given time, ->> but if you join a server mid round where a map is playing that has no jail and the server has no respawn function and there are no admins online you'll never get to play the map unless everyone on one team suicides. There are other servers than the surftimer servers out there, wake up and smell the flowers. They are struggling because so many new maps don't suit their servers. Sure, mappers can commit to making only terrorist- or only counter-terroristspawns, but that doesn't really help said servers. What's the fun in surfing a map without an ending, without even a timer? The learning part of the map may be lots of fun, but that's not enough, there aren't nearly enough maps being produced to satisfy such a "market". I'm going to go as far as to say that jails may very well revive surf. It would make it easier for new players to get acquainted with surf, without being blown away by surftimer dudes.

Third, and this isn't really needed, but you're completely talking against yourself in your 3rd paragraph. How can a map be both original and innovative of its time, and still be uncreative? It doesn't really make sense. The problem, is that you fail to recognize what maps have been made when. Everything gets watered out after a while. Sure, making a simple spin isn't creative anymore, but that doesn't mean that the first one wasn't balls to the walls awesome.

Fourth. Please don't talk about someone's behaviour in a way that makes you look even worse. It's like you would say, quite redundant.

Offline Helix

• ASOT 600!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 10:26:53 AM »
How about we have a jail/personality discussion somewhere else. This is still a thread about surf_chess.

Offline iJezus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I finally got some time to address this post. First off, you should read up on your facts before you start throwing things out there that are obviously wrong. Ryans can speak for himself, but I just want to say, at least he has made an impression at all. I mean, what makes you a viable shittalker? If you think a bit I'm sure you realize ryans' been making stuff for surf more recent than 2005.
I'm sure you'll realise that this is a public forum, that I believe is designed for users to critique surf maps. As such, I believe anyone who uses the forum may respond to other posters, correct? Sure, I don't map, how is that relevant? Do I need to map to know that posts such as "lOL no jail version?????? fak im outa dis thred lol!!1 wat a noob map u suk1!" are useless? Do I need to know how to map in order to know what types of maps are popular, and what kind of maps I would like to play?

Just because Ryan has made a few maps doesn't mean he should set up shop here as some kind of guru telling people what they can and can't make. Rapsodia and many others including yourself have made plenty of maps and I don't see you making stupid posts like that, discouraging new mappers from even using this forum or mapping at all.

Second, the main matter of this post, jails. In what way are jails redundant? Even looking away from the quite terrible word of choice, (redundant??) the statement is still wrong. The whole reason to have a jail, is to have an ending to a surfmap. An end with death and such resulting and a new round. I'm sure you're aware of this, unless you've only been surfing since the surftimer age (haaah! which I'm getting the impression of, giggle..jk) where everything's bright and shiny with all the fancy respawn functions and 5+ admins babysitting the server at any given time, ->> but if you join a server mid round where a map is playing that has no jail and the server has no respawn function and there are no admins online you'll never get to play the map unless everyone on one team suicides. There are other servers than the surftimer servers out there, wake up and smell the flowers. They are struggling because so many new maps don't suit their servers. Sure, mappers can commit to making only terrorist- or only counter-terroristspawns, but that doesn't really help said servers. What's the fun in surfing a map without an ending, without even a timer? The learning part of the map may be lots of fun, but that's not enough, there aren't nearly enough maps being produced to satisfy such a "market". I'm going to go as far as to say that jails may very well revive surf. It would make it easier for new players to get acquainted with surf, without being blown away by surftimer dudes.
TBH most of the skill surf servers I know of nowadays are surf timers, and most of the skill surfers I know play mainly timer servers. I've been surfing since well before timer servers came out, so it's not like I've only ever played timer servers. Therefore IMO jails are at the very least, not going to be used that often. I haven't seen any of the few non timer skill servers I know of playing any of the new skill maps with even a handful of people online at a given time. If you want to cater to the minority, sure, but I disagree with Ryan's obsessive need to make sure everyone else does as well.

Also I think redundant is a perfectly acceptable word to be used.
re·dun·dant/riˈdəndənt/Adjective
1. No longer needed or useful; superfluous.
2. (of words or data) Able to be omitted without loss of meaning or function.

Do you ever see maps like surf_jusched, exile or tronic being played on a non timer server with a decent distribution of skill levels for surfers? You'd be lucky to have 1 person online able to do the map and it would be guaranteed to be rtv'ed in no time, thus making the jails rather redundant.

Third, and this isn't really needed, but you're completely talking against yourself in your 3rd paragraph. How can a map be both original and innovative of its time, and still be uncreative? It doesn't really make sense. The problem, is that you fail to recognize what maps have been made when. Everything gets watered out after a while. Sure, making a simple spin isn't creative anymore, but that doesn't mean that the first one wasn't balls to the walls awesome.

What I meant was that the obstacles in most of ryan's maps (the network series, mainly came to mind) aren't that hard to think up. I'm sure that any current mapper, had they been making maps before ryan, would have thought of similar things too. So (I admit this was a badly explained point) I meant that they are original, because he was around first to make them, but they aren't particularly hard to think up, and had he not been the first to make them, similar maps would likely still have been made, which cannot be said for other maps such as say ny_advance.

Edit: PM me if you want to reply I guess, sorry for derailing this thread. (Or if a mod wants to delete the posts, go ahead.)

FAJEDIT - This is Ryan's response, I want to keep the thread on topic after this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"lOL no jail version?????? fak im outa dis thred lol!!1 wat a noob map u suk1!"
"I have nothing but contempt for you for representing me in this manner.  Please, leave this forum for good.  Your opinion is not valued, nor needed."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:44:31 PM by FAJ »

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »
Thread can get back on topic from here on. That is a good idea, Helix.
EDIT- I moved this post behind iJezus so he could get his rebuttal in. No reason to respond to it. Read it and agree or disagree in silence.

In any case, my suggestion about ducks was a joke.

As for textures/theme, there is more than one way to skin a cat. You don't have to explicitly put a chess board on the walls and floor to represent chess. You can have different rooms dedicated to different pieces. A royal style room for the king and/or queen. Stables for the knights, a brick/fortress room for the rook. There is more to the chess theme than a checkerboard pattern, and there are ways around using it. Black/white checkers are not a fun texture to stare at for long periods of time as players learn the surf etc.

Offline arroba

• srs business
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »
ask black sheep to make some nice chess models, and put em around the map, if possible.

Offline Skittl35

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »
ask black sheep to make some nice chess models, and put em around the map, if possible.

Nexxt - if you do this I recommend making one state for each piece, rather than throwing them all in together.

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »
Not everyone maps in the same way, assholes. So get the fuck off your high horses and stop acting like you weren't all novices at mapping at one point. We all were, and we got to where we are now through practice and the help of other mappers. Why not perpetuate that? You guys are getting ridiculous.
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
Re: Re: Surf_Chess
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
I did my best mapping as a novice  \