Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IS YOUR COMPILE TAKING FOREVER/CRASHING???  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
IS YOUR COMPILE TAKING FOREVER/CRASHING???
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
One of the main reasons that maps take so long to compile is the lighting process. To do this, the engine must basically take every face that is receiving lights/shadows, and calculate where they'll fall and at what angles. The detail level of this is defaultly set at a pretty high-detail setting, but also ensures a time-consuming compile and a bigger .bsp size.

SO! To speed up your compiles, you need to change the lightmap scale. To do this:

1. Select your entire map. [Edit > Select All].
2. Open the Texture Application Tool [Shift + A, by default]
3. Look for the Lightmap Scale, and change it to 64. (EVERY NUMBER USED HERE NEEDS TO BE A POWER OF 2. E.G. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc.)

64 is a good number to test your map/do betas with, but you will want to lower it to at least 32 for your final compile. Also, as the lightmap scale basically controls the details of the shadowing, a lower lightmap scale will give you higher quality shadows, making them appear more sharp when they hit the ground/other structures. A higher scale will kind of "blur" that line, reducing the amount of detail.

If you're doing a lot of compiles while you're testing, but still want to see the map with lighting, a value of 128 may be used.
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline vsx

• sonic.exe
    • View Profile
Re: IS YOUR COMPILE TAKING FOREVER/CRASHING???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »
simple and very useful
well done \

Offline RambJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
Sometimes VRAD crashes if my lightmap scales are too low, if I had a better PC would it crash less?

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:27:05 AM »
Sometimes VRAD crashes if my lightmap scales are too low, if I had a better PC would it crash less?

Are you sure it's actually crashing? A lot of the time Hammer will give the appearance of not responding, while the compile is actually still going.
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline RambJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 01:46:03 AM »
Yeah vbct will say vrad as crashed.

It doesn't really matter I was just wondering if I would be able to compile my map to a better quality with a better pc.

Offline MuhCow

• RatedM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
VRAD is useing RAM to Compile! So if you run out of Ram, it crashes. If you have a Map that uses all the Source Engine possibilitys than u need at least 3-4 (or more) Gig of Ram to compile at a Lightmap Scale of 4.
Changed my Name: MuhCow iz now RatedM!!!