Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I would like to ask...  (Read 31201 times)

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
I would like to ask...
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »
is it worth coming back to surfing?

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to ask...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:38 PM »
is it worth coming back to surfing?
Do ze_ instead.. or play STALKER.

Offline Tioga060

• America #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »
Yes, we need more mappers who people worship.

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Yes, we need more mappers who people worship.
I guess that was part of my question. Are there any good maps being made?

Do ze_ instead.. or play STALKER.
Why am I drawing a blank on ze_...

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:55:11 PM »
Why am I drawing a blank on ze_...
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vkYU_dhkbU
plus 49 other people, 3-5 people are randomly chose each round to be the zombies, one knife slash to the humans changes them to a zombie.  The objective is to stay on the human team.
It's real intense actually, a lot more exciting than surfing.

EDIT: Don't mind the terrible music on the video.

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vkYU_dhkbU
plus 49 other people, 3-5 people are randomly chose each round to be the zombies, one knife slash to the humans changes them to a zombie.  The objective is to stay on the human team.
It's real intense actually, a lot more exciting than surfing.

EDIT: Don't mind the terrible music on the video.

OH. zombie escape... all that could come to mind was zm_ (which i actually prefer to ze_). Frikin hilarious. My obnoxious friends and I would infiltrate French servers and embody the stereotype that Americans are considered to be in France. Good times. Good laughs. So many pissed off French people. I need to start playing zm_ again...

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
OH. zombie escape... all that could come to mind was zm_ (which i actually prefer to ze_). Frikin hilarious. My obnoxious friends and I would infiltrate French servers and embody the stereotype that Americans are considered to be in France. Good times. Good laughs. So many pissed off French people. I need to start playing zm_ again...
I don't really like zm_ because you basically get infinite ammo and just have to sit in one spot until the time runs out; ze_ is fun because you have to continually keep yourself one step ahead of the zombies.  It starts to get real intense when one zombie get through to your team and then the "infection" just spreads like wildfire and usually ends up wiping most of your team out, if not the entire team.

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:13:05 PM »
I don't really like zm_ because you basically get infinite ammo and just have to sit in one spot until the time runs out; ze_ is fun because you have to continually keep yourself one step ahead of the zombies.  It starts to get real intense when one zombie get through to your team and then the "infection" just spreads like wildfire and usually ends up wiping most of your team out, if not the entire team.

Good point. I am probably going to start playing some ze_ then. Waiting until I get my new connection though. Right now I am at a max of 512 kbps (which I found out is the lowest speed offered other than Dial Up...). I am going to be hopefully getting 10 mbps soon.

Interesting fact... kbps doesn't get a red line under it but mbps does... o.O

Edit: Have you seen that new "Zombie" Mod for HL2:DM?

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 06:46:44 PM »
Yeah definitely wait until you get a new connection to play, especially since ze_ servers are usually 60 slots and generally full of people from all over the world, it can get laggy at points.

No, I haven't sen the mod.  Could you provide a link, because I am too lazy to Google it and could only imagine that there are 400 other "zombie" related mods for HL2:DM

Offline Tioga060

• America #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:41:30 PM »
There are a lot of bad maps being made, but there are some good ones if you look hard enough. People are finally starting to stray from generic mapping and putting some work into original content/attention to detail.

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »
Ryan, you should show me around in the world of ze once, it sounds pretty fun. I joined you a few days ago but you were afk \
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 07:50:56 PM »
There are a lot of bad maps being made, but there are some good ones if you look hard enough. People are finally starting to stray from generic mapping and putting some work into original content/attention to detail.
I appreciate your optimism, but I still believe this to be a pipe dream.

Ryan, you should show me around in the world of ze once, it sounds pretty fun. I joined you a few days ago but you were afk \
Sure thing!  I tend to stay in servers for days on end, so I can just come and go as I please.

Offline scaz.zaf

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »
As far as stand alone mods are concerned, ZPS is my all time favorite, that's actually where I started mapping. But it's gone downhill in the past two years or so.

But in regards to the OP, surfing isn't dead. There are still some fantastic mappers out there and some rising up through the ranks, just look at the recently released surf_misc for example. That map is stunning, fun to surf, and original.

It has potential to live on, and if people spent half the time they spend complaining that it's dead actually making maps, it would prosper even further.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:07:13 PM by scaz.zaf »

Offline Tioga060

• America #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
The target market has gone from combat surfers to skill surfers now that surf has been bastardized by the europeans who cheat to get faster times and form short lived surf teams who produce overedited youtube clips. There's still room for creativity even in the skill surf njv realm though, you just have to face the laments of whiny surfers who would rather surf the same maps over and over to get times that are milliseconds faster than previous records instead of surfing maps that are challenging because of new content they introduce.

Offline RambJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »
Lets save combat surf!

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »
To me, surf is not dead, it's just not fun anymore.  It's gone from people actually surfing maps and having fun killing each other at the end, to what tioga has said. 
Granted, some people here have stated that they are going to work on combat maps and the likes, but I haven't seen much progress beyond those claims. 
On the subject of surf timer; I think it also bothers me a lot that most (if not all) maps are doctored by the server owners, or people who maintain the servers, just so it can work on the plague-like timer mod.  Most of the time triggers, logic systems, and even entire jails are removed.  It's very bothersome to me, and it makes me loathe the server and anyone who frequents it.  It may be just a game, but someone has invested time into their design, only for it to get raped in the end. 

To anyone who is really trying to create something original, combat surf or otherwise, this is my face when:

Offline Jesuswashomeless

• Just do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
The target market has gone from combat surfers to skill surfers now that surf has been bastardized by the europeans who cheat to get faster times and form short lived surf teams who produce overedited youtube clips. There's still room for creativity even in the skill surf njv realm though, you just have to face the laments of whiny surfers who would rather surf the same maps over and over to get times that are milliseconds faster than previous records instead of surfing maps that are challenging because of new content they introduce.

Quote of the week.
To me, surf is not dead, it's just not fun anymore.  It's gone from people actually surfing maps and having fun killing each other at the end, to what tioga has said. 
Granted, some people here have stated that they are going to work on combat maps and the likes, but I haven't seen much progress beyond those claims. 
On the subject of surf timer; I think it also bothers me a lot that most (if not all) maps are doctored by the server owners, or people who maintain the servers, just so it can work on the plague-like timer mod.  Most of the time triggers, logic systems, and even entire jails are removed.  It's very bothersome to me, and it makes me loathe the server and anyone who frequents it.  It may be just a game, but someone has invested time into their design, only for it to get raped in the end. 

To anyone who is really trying to create something original, combat surf or otherwise, this is my face when:

Quote of the week

Even maps people deem original have nothing to offer. Themes are reused, and even "original" themes don't separate themselves much from the competition (that doesn't exist). Everyone hates copymark, but I loved the original surf_crystal. I also loved old combat surf maps that I'd search a server for to no avail... bucked_up was fun imo. I miss the fun combat surf and the excitement of skill maps' birth.  Now, the same pieces are being used over and over again. I rarely see anything original. There is a possibility for originality (some might say not because there are only a few options for "surfable" terrain, but I would disagree with them), but it is not being brought about due to an apparent lack of creativity. Is is depressing how thoroughly unoriginal mappers are, in general.

Edit for Ryan: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/lv324/after_3_long_years_i_am_proud_to_release_this_hl2/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:59:39 PM by Jesuswashomeless »

I <3 KIM JONG IL

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 02:15:31 AM »
Edit for Ryan: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/lv324/after_3_long_years_i_am_proud_to_release_this_hl2/

Got it, played it, was frightened.  I always enjoy the lack of weapons/ammo in these types of mods/games, it brings a true feeling of 'SHIT HIT THE FAN' to you.  It really puts in perspective how unprepared most people would be if the shit really did hit the fan.  Enough tin-foil-hat-wearing shit from me though.

It was totally fun!

Offline vsx

• sonic.exe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 09:35:16 AM »
well I suppose i'm a part of the problem, because I usually frequent timers, specially ksf but oh well, mostly all the combat surf servers here on my homeland (Portugal)  have auto-bhop or extremely mentally retarded admins, which made me change for skillsurf. On ksf I usually just try to beat all the skillsurf maps and SOMETIMES I aim for top10's. I like to have a challenge like beat the map, not really improving my time or something.

Back to the main question: surf is dead? no, just a little sleepy

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 05:07:32 AM »
Wait, server op's are actually modifying maps for the surf timer server and removing things?

You guys do know that the work you create is legally YOURS, at least here in the States. Get in touch with the server provider company if this is an issue for you; they love to remove copyrighted material from servers.
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 06:17:07 AM »
Wait, server op's are actually modifying maps for the surf timer server and removing things?

You guys do know that the work you create is legally YOURS, at least here in the States. Get in touch with the server provider company if this is an issue for you; they love to remove copyrighted material from servers.

Yeah, I tried talking to the moderators of ksf at one time when they were dividing compulsive into two different maps (_h and _e) for hard & easy mod. This made people spam me with questions, asking why I couldn't make 1 map that had a hard/easy system and where to download either version. I was so angry at him when he refused to use the proper edition (which had a hard/easy system). Didn't know  I could legally get it removed though. Ksf is the dumbest place to go if you want proof that surf isn't dead, cuz that server sure isn't helping.
"We modify maps to give timer surfers a better exerience, and the maps on the server belong to me when they are on my server" -untouch
^ bullshit

Offline vsx

• sonic.exe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
Yeah, I tried talking to the moderators of ksf at one time when they were dividing compulsive into two different maps (_h and _e) for hard & easy mod. This made people spam me with questions, asking why I couldn't make 1 map that had a hard/easy system and where to download either version. I was so angry at him when he refused to use the proper edition (which had a hard/easy system). Didn't know  I could legally get it removed though. Ksf is the dumbest place to go if you want proof that surf isn't dead, cuz that server sure isn't helping.
"We modify maps to give timer surfers a better exerience, and the maps on the server belong to me when they are on my server" -untouch
^ bullshit
Don't really know the context of the map modification but maps such as compulsive, infected, exocube.. need to be split up because u can't have 1 time running on a certain mode an on other day the hard mode for example. Now things like spaceship_ksf, forbidden_ways_ksf... are an example of illegal modification done by ksf (not untouch I think) and that sometimes are the cause of leaks that could be avoided with the original vmf (see spaceship b3 when you hit the ceeling).

ps sorry any bad english, i'm on my ipod

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
I have a solution; abolish all timer mods and never speak of this treachery to new surf community members, BEHEAD ANYONE THAT SPEAKS OF IT!

No but seriously, I wish KSF and Intox timer servers would just disappear.

Offline iJezus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »
^ bullshit

You know he didnt modify the bsp at all right? _h and the normal _njv are the exact same. How do you expect a timer server to offer 2 modes of the map without having a renamed version?

I can understand the guys who made spaceship and forbidden ways being annoyed, but I don't really see what the big deal is here.

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
I don't really see what the big deal is here.
Because you're not a mapper. Lol.

Offline scaz.zaf

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
"Hey guys I just spent the last month or so spending tedious amounts of hours perfecting a map that is both beautiful and fun to play, I even named it a certain way to reflect my impression of my creation."

Response:
"I'll take that, cut some stuff out, screw with the path to make it how I envision it, probably make some leaks, and rename it to assert my dominance"

Sounds like a pretty raw deal, doesn't it?

Offline Sangfroid

• ~Kyuun~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »
sure does \

~i copied this from someone else. it's awesome~

Offline iJezus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 03:28:58 AM »
Because you're not a mapper. Lol.

"Hey guys I just spent the last month or so spending tedious amounts of hours perfecting a map that is both beautiful and fun to play, I even named it a certain way to reflect my impression of my creation."

Response:
"I'll take that, cut some stuff out, screw with the path to make it how I envision it, probably make some leaks, and rename it to assert my dominance"

Sounds like a pretty raw deal, doesn't it?

Here's the gamebanana page for the map he's talking about: http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/136736

Strictly meant for timer(whore) servers such as; ksf timer surf and =EGI=.

So he releases a map with 2 entirely different paths specifically for those servers, then he gets mad when they make it so both parts are playable? They didn't modify the bsp/remove his credit/even remove a jail, they just made it so both the hard and easy modes are playable. Which is exactly what he wanted, I assume; why would he bother making multiple modes if he never wanted one of them to be played?

Again, I'd be furious if I was the maker of forbidden ways or spaceship but razer is just an idiot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:31:43 AM by iJezus »

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 03:39:08 AM »
Here's the gamebanana page for the map he's talking about: http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/136736

So he releases a map with 2 entirely different paths specifically for those servers, then he gets mad when they make it so both parts are playable? They didn't modify the bsp/remove his credit/even remove a jail, they just made it so both the hard and easy modes are playable. Which is exactly what he wanted, I assume; why would he bother making multiple modes if he never wanted one of them to be played?

Again, I'd be furious if I was the maker of forbidden ways or spaceship but razer is just an idiot.
You missed the point.

Offline scaz.zaf

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 03:55:06 AM »

Well let me clarify my point:
There have been several occasions where server "admins" have taken the maps and altered the purpose of the map (see spaceship/forbidden ways)
There have been several occasions where server "admins" have taken the maps and cut out sections and jails (see just about every converted combat map)
There have been several occasions where server "admins" have taken the maps and altered the name because they are d**ks (see surf_loves_spliff)

Clear enough yet?
Unlike some people I don't just say stuff without facts to back it up.

Offline iJezus

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 04:08:43 AM »
There have been several occasions where server "admins" have taken the maps and altered the purpose of the map (see spaceship/forbidden ways)
There have been several occasions where server "admins" have taken the maps and cut out sections and jails (see just about every converted combat map)
There have been several occasions where server "admins" have taken the maps and altered the name because they are d**ks (see surf_loves_spliff)

Clear enough yet?

And I agree with you about pointless altering of map names / modifying bsp's without permission.

I don't see a problem with cutting out jails by using normal console commands or serverside addons to delete timers etc though. If they aren't modifying your work at all they can play the map however they please imo.

Offline silverlol

• super mapper!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
no its not worth coming back, at least not to surf.

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
If the ridiculous debate above is indicator of anything, it's this:

no its not worth coming back, at least not to surf.

I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline RambJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »
^ bullshit

You can't legally get it removed. All he did was make a server plugin disable the easy mode when surf_compulsive_njv is on, and make it activate the hard mode when surf_compulsive_njv_h is one.

What did you want him to do, leave it as just surf_compulsive_njv so they the hard mode is NEVER played by ANYONE?

For a start, people wouldn't want to play the hard mode over the easy, as it is harder to beat. It would also be harder to beat the record if you are playing the hard mode as it has more things to dodge, when someone else did it on the easy mode.

I see why people who had their VMFs edited are mad, but why are you lmao?

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »
Why are we even discussing this crap? You're mapping for fun, not for profit. When someone else modifies your map it makes them look stupid, not you, and it doesn't do any harm to you. People know who made the map that they're playing and that doesn't even matter, because you shouldn't be mapping for recognition (especially not from the wankers that come to the ksf timer server, who only see maps as a tool to reach higher rankings). I've seen tons of bad maps - and I mean fucking retarded jusched-like maps - that were applauded by all the timerwhores because they had potential for timerwhores to compete against eachother, while other beautiful well-made maps are put aside for no reason (overgrowth?).
I'd say finish mechanismus, if you want to (it would certainly make me very happy \), and then return to combat surf. I don't like both skillsurf and combat anymore. Skillsurf because it is dominated by random Finnish timerwhore faggots, and combat because I've grown to prefer more realistic shooters that are out now. I do however frequently visit ksf to practice the maps I like (the only advantage of the surf timer: you can practice maps without the pesky timers that the mappers put in), but almost immediately I annoy the stupid admins that terrorize the server.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:10:40 PM by Orange »
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 06:45:53 PM »
I've grown to prefer more realistic shooters that are out now.
You better be talking about STALKER

If you look around the server list, you can find decent servers with good maps on them, combat and skill, but they are usually not American.  I've learned to deal with it.

Offline silverlol

• super mapper!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »
off-topic thread is off topic
PAPER CUT?????????????????????????????????????????? clean

Offline vsx

• sonic.exe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »

Clear enough yet?
Compulsive doesn't apply to any of those

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 10:12:59 AM »
Compulsive doesn't apply to any of those
It was merely an example, every one of my map is changed on the ksf server. retroartz for instance, they removed all the secrets I spent time adding, cuz it would"destroy the point of a timer"

ksf is a penis loving piece of shit server, and everyone defending it can go suck it. I'm not mad LOLZ xDDD 111!!!one I'm rather upset that all you fucking faggots turn against mappers trying to make decent maps. I think my maps are MY maps, not the server owners, if his stupid plugin is too shit to work with both hard/easy then he shouldn't upload it? Stop fucking altering maps to your own gain. I had to explain to every 12 year old why they couldn't find the hardmode anywhere online, because it was all in one bsp originally. And that is because untouch was too shite to make his timer work with my map, but I was theone who had to "fix" it.

super serious comment is serious.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:29:05 AM by RazerSurf »

Offline Shifty

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
It was merely an example, every one of my map is changed on the ksf server. retroartz for instance, they removed all the secrets I spent time adding, cuz it would"destroy the point of a timer"

ksf is a penis loving piece of shit server, and everyone defending it can go suck it. I'm not mad LOLZ xDDD 111!!!one I'm rather upset that all you fucking faggots turn against mappers trying to make decent maps. I think my maps are MY maps, not the server owners, if his stupid plugin is too shit to work with both hard/easy then he shouldn't upload it? Stop fucking altering maps to your own gain. I had to explain to every 12 year old why they couldn't find the hardmode anywhere online, because it was all in one bsp originally. And that is because untouch was too shite to make his timer work with my map, but I was theone who had to "fix" it.

super serious comment is serious.

umm you made this map for timerservers (according to gamebanana) when there was like only one timer server, ksf. As i suppose you wanted both mods to be played, untouchable made that possible and now you're complaining about it. i c no logic
Can you even name one server thats playing compulsive they way you want it to? or retroartz or w/e
I doubt you can. btw u map for fun && satisfaction?? why care so much?