Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Should Dan open a new non-skill surf server?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Should I start up a surf server?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
Poll: Should I start up a surf server?
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »
Of course, the server would be ONLY combat and linear maps that I deem worthy.

No XIV.
Buck wild would be on, but there would definitely be a play cap on that one.
The best of both words (I surfed raceway, skyworld, and skyscraper when they were new (That makes me sound like an old fart lol).
Some maps will have noblock disabled like they were meant to (mainly old maps).

24 - 32 slots.
Some admin plugin that also has nominate, rockthevote, votemap, and votekick.
I haven't purchased a server in years, I will need suggestions on which company to rent from.

I would have admins that I trust, no one else. So that's a "fuck yourself" if I don't know you.
There will be a way to donate, but no one has to, admins included. I don't want this server to tank because the admins suddenly couldn't pay.

I will shut down the server if the population stays at an average of 0/32 within the span of 1 month. Basically, play in the server and it won't go down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like this idea / don't like this idea, post below.
Add suggestions or maps you think should be added (and why to both) within your post.

Debates are always welcome, but I repeat, I REPEAT: There will be zero talk of skill surf in this thread. Fuck that and you if you bring it up (only good ones were platinum, the first commune, and FAJ's variations of supperhappy, but that is aside the point).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:59:14 PM by Dan »
What the fuck happened?

Offline iJezus

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Should I start up a surf server?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
You'd be better off starting off with like 10 slots and building up as it gets a player base. If I was going through the server list I probably wouldn't join a 5/32 server since it looks so empty but when its 5/10 I'd be more inclined to, kinda.

TBH though most of the people on this forum who bitch and cry about the need for combat surf don't seem to really play much at all, so them saying yeh lol ill play it!!! is still going to mean a largely empty server.

Due to ping and since I find combat surf pretty boring I doubt I'd play it at all.

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »
TBH though most of the people on this forum who bitch and cry about the need for combat surf don't seem to really play much at all, so them saying yeh lol ill play it!!! is still going to mean a largely empty server.
Speak for yourself, woman.

I think it's a great idea. I think there should be a place for old Skill maps, as you've mentioned.  Combat and linear are still very much alive, people just aren't looking hard enough for the servers.  I haven't surfed skill in a couple of months, but any time I open css (and don't play Ze_) I play either combat or linear deathmatch or regular.

I think it would be nice to have a home server, instead of just hoping around to random German and French servers.

As for donators, do NOT reward them with admin, this is what destroyed the fun factor of Buck's server.  Faggots like angry muslim bought their admin and banned people they disagreed with.  Possibly reward the donators with some kind of tag, or something dumb like that, people always love stupid shit they can spend money on.

Offline Power-Fusion

• The Local Nudist
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Hot Dickings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
The combat servers i find are the most popular, are the ones that have respawn, personally i dont overly mind it, but its not the same, i have wanted to see a server try running elimination though.

In the long run id love to see a solid combat server, as it primarily what i play, but its had for a combat server to take off, and let alone stay populated.
spoz: I like my women how i like my filesystems... FAT and 16

Offline Tioga060

• America #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
You don't need to buy a server, talk to me and ill talk to buck about revamping the surf shack.

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
I don't want a server that is tied in with Intox.
What the fuck happened?

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
Gameservers.com is who I've always used, they have great customer service.

Let me know if you need any server admins; I need a good popular surf to frequent.
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline silverlol

• super mapper!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »
bump vouch do it

Offline Tioga060

• America #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
There are like 4 people in the whole world who still like old maps like skyscraper. You could try to set up an old school server, but it's never going to be as popular as it used to be.

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:30:25 AM »
If the overall consensus remains "yes", then I will have it up and running about two weeks after the start of next semester.
What the fuck happened?

Offline arroba

• srs business
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »
Nope

Offline SKAR

• THE ONE AND ONLY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
I'd play there if you add surf_the_distance and bigloop.

Edit: I don't see the poll how the hell do I vote.

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
If I knew how to make a poll you'd see one lol. For now, I'm just tallying up the votes.
What the fuck happened?

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
Added a poll
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
Wait until CS:GO.

Most old maps are fun to play only for a short time (besides the exceptions, for example I'll never get tired of bigloop). You're not going to get people to consistently play skyscraper like the old days.

Plus so many people have attempted and failed to keep a popular combat server. Don't make the same mistake and waste you're time. (Since you haven't ran a server in a while you are going to waste a ton of time just simply setting it up)

Rather be the first to do it in the new game and hopefully you'll have an instantly popular server.

The other previous suggestions above are also very good if you actually go ahead and decide to do this.

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 02:59:00 AM »
Wait until CS:GO.

Most old maps are fun to play only for a short time (besides the exceptions, for example I'll never get tired of bigloop). You're not going to get people to consistently play skyscraper like the old days.

Plus so many people have attempted and failed to keep a popular combat server. Don't make the same mistake and waste you're time. (Since you haven't ran a server in a while you are going to waste a ton of time just simply setting it up)

Rather be the first to do it in the new game and hopefully you'll have an instantly popular server.

The other previous suggestions above are also very good if you actually go ahead and decide to do this.

If the consensus is yes, I will start up the server in CSS. It's a good idea to test drive the map rotation, admins, plugins, etc. before I set up a CS:GO server (which will most likely need most of the levels converted and mods remade).
What the fuck happened?

Offline RambJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »
Well we will hopefully be able to host servers for the CS:GO beta soon, and SourceMod will be able to get to work on it.

Should be good though, as it's 100 tick. \