Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: surf_volatile - [What should I do with this map?]  (Read 18554 times)

Offline RizzLe

• Juxtapo
    • View Profile
surf_volatile - [What should I do with this map?]
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:39:50 AM »
Here's a video of what I have so far: (sorry for video quality, not sure what happened between fraps and vegas.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmu4b0jDTUY

The map is buggy as fuck (Tons of surfaces that act as if they're nodraw even if they aren't), the no fall damage entity/trigger doesn't work anymore even though its setup correctly, a few of the ramps are buggy but only if you don't surf smoothly on them.

It's my first serious try at making a map (I've made maps 4 years ago but never finished one start to end). If I wasn't running into all of the bugs/problems I'd be much more motivated to finish it. I originally set out to make a map with similar (gameplay?) to surf_eternal, but I ditched that quickly cause laziness.

Now it's just a confusing mess of angles and awkward jumps that are surprisingly fun but also frustrating.

Should I ditch this and start on a new map and try to make it cleaner/smoother & actually stick with my plans, or just extend the map another 30 seconds and then fix whatever bugs there are and call it my first real map?

(This isn't posted in Ripples cause I got logged out automatically as I posted it and it didn't let me post it again :\ )
Juxtapo

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
Re: surf_volatile - [What should I do with this map?]
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Finish it. Remake ramp geometry, redo all the entities if you have to. Never let your first finished map fail when it's over 75% done. The texture problems are probably just bad textures that need to be replaced. There's enough people here to help figure out all the bugs.
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.