Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Model-based ramps  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Yedanker

• View Profile
Model-based ramps
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
So, I joined this site a short while ago with ambitions to create a surf map. I was wrong to think it would be easy. All the 'easy' methods have caused problems for me such as map corruption and compile errors, and all the 'advanced' methods are far to fiddly, time consuming and manual...

Now, I was wondering if it is possible to create surf ramps with 3D software and import it as a model. Is this possible? Has it ever been done? I would imagine the problems you might face would either be the entity limit or more direct problems like clipping (walking on models seems to be a pain in Source but I haven't done testing other than personal experience with playing Source games).

I've seen maps do this kind of thing with those red cargo containers... but those are only simple 6-polygon, flat edged models. I was thinking more along the lines of creating the entire smooth ramp as a model.

So yeah, anyone ever tried this? If so, what were the results? If not... I might give it a shot.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:50:10 PM by Yedanker »

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
Re: Model-based ramps
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »
It's been done, not sure with what degree of success though because my memory fails me. Either way, go for it and see what you come up with. Innovation's always good  \
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
It's been done, not sure with what degree of success though because my memory fails me. Either way, go for it and see what you come up with. Innovation's always good  \

How about propper? It's basically the same as making the ramp in a 3D modelling program, and a lot easier. Not sure if they're completely bug-free; this being the source engine I highly doubt it.

Offline Yedanker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
Having some trouble with the collision mesh at the moment, but that's probably just my fault since compiling to source isn't my strong point. Hopefully I can get something working soon so that I can test it.

How about propper? It's basically the same as making the ramp in a 3D modelling program, and a lot easier. Not sure if they're completely bug-free; this being the source engine I highly doubt it.
That's a cool idea, I didn't know about propper, but here's why I think 3D modelling might be the better approach:
Ugly ramp...

Turns into sexy ramp with a simple subdivide modifier...

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that first ramp.

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that first ramp.

Nothing wrong with the second one either, but that's not the point of the discussion lol.

The collision meshes were always the issue from what I can remember.
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with the second one either, but that's not the point of the discussion lol.

The collision meshes were always the issue from what I can remember.
But he said the first ramp was ugly :[
and I was just saying it's not ugly :[
I never said there was anything wrong with the second ramp :[

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »

You can clearly see how the ramp isn't flowing the way it should, since you used a ramp with few segments as a base. It is basically as unsmooth as the first, but with more segments.. It's pretty useless when done like that, since a normal ramp made in hammer would be smoother and a lot easier to make.

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:36 AM »
But he said the first ramp was ugly :[
and I was just saying it's not ugly :[
I never said there was anything wrong with the second ramp :[
:[
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline vividliquid

• View Profile

Offline Yedanker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 12:58:55 PM »
You can clearly see how the ramp isn't flowing the way it should, since you used a ramp with few segments as a base. It is basically as unsmooth as the first, but with more segments.. It's pretty useless when done like that, since a normal ramp made in hammer would be smoother and a lot easier to make.

You're right, but considering I'm terrible at surf mapping (hence why I'm trying to come up with a simpler solution) and that I spent no more than 10 seconds on that original ramp (extruding is fun)... I think the result was rather reasonable.

Anyway, I found out the reason why the collision meshes are so broken. Source engine doesn't agree with concave collision meshes, only convex. I'm able to do the collision mesh if I seperate the ramps into seperate objects (it still compiles to one entity at the end so that's not a problem), but the problem is it takes forever. Until I can come up with a quick method of doing that then this method is very flawed \.