Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[May 29, 2017, 03:03:43 PM] Orange: Wtf is this shit

[May 29, 2017, 03:04:35 PM] Orange: I just arrived at work for a 3 hour shift

[May 29, 2017, 03:26:30 PM] Orange: And they tell me that theres nothing to do for the first 2 hours

[May 29, 2017, 03:26:44 PM] Orange: Im literally getting paid to do nothing

[May 30, 2017, 12:34:17 AM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: sounds like my job

[June 03, 2017, 01:06:15 PM] Knife: Rayan

[June 03, 2017, 01:07:05 PM] Knife: Does anyone know who made skyworld, leet, and gauntlet? 

[June 04, 2017, 03:48:52 AM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: some niggy from brokensurf

[June 04, 2017, 03:48:52 AM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: ~_~

[June 10, 2017, 07:23:25 PM] fr3shz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skegrTvlu-Q

[June 12, 2017, 08:39:53 PM] Kiiru: sweet

[June 14, 2017, 05:12:01 PM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: wew

Author Topic: This thread sucks  (Read 60864 times)

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
Re: This map sucks
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:41 AM »
I'm not getting involved in this retarded argument of a thread - but I will say this: ny_advance was one of "the" first skill surf maps. Comparing this new skill surf map to a map that is literally years old isn't even logical.

Why? I'm comparing relative difficulty for the surfers at the time... nothing more.

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 04:35:21 AM »
Why? I'm comparing relative difficulty for the surfers at the time... nothing more.

Agreed. But it was stupid hard then. Why repeat the past? Even FAJ isn't proud of the staged skill-surf storm he set off. (Yes, I still blame you FAJ  \)

FAJEDIT - Nobody blames the shit condition of surf on me more than I do
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:38:55 PM by FAJ »
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline nimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 05:30:24 AM »
This is the kind of map you can surf for hours and hours and still have fun with. The difficulty progression is near-perfect. The surf is challenging yet hardly frustrating. It offers a ridiculous amount of content and is still aesthetically brilliant. The fact that half the people in this thread are blindly hating it shows how backwards this shitty website is.

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 06:14:25 AM »
Your 1 post is amazing. Thank you.
What the fuck happened?

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:16 AM »
Oh, well what is it you're supposed to do in a skill surf map then?
That's exactly what you're supposed to do, but it's so monotonous.

I actually read through all this, and I think people are making valid points, even the "opponents of the anti-skill-surf thing SS has going".
I'm positive "the call me queer" only came here to troll and he deserved nothing less than the resistance we put up against that, even though he started to be more serious throughout this thread.
I think your map is gorgeous, and the amount of stages (19 vs the conventional 7 (?)) is astonishing, but the surf is nothing special. I didn't surf it, but I watched the video and I think that is enough to judge the surf.

I'm surprised people are still willing to argue over this whole skill surf-thing after countless of these threads. Isn't it clear yet that the old school Solidsurfers don't, and will never like skill surf? Also, the fact that these same Solidsurfers used to make skill maps themselves doesn't make them hypocrites. If they were STILL spitting out skill maps, than that would be totally different. It's like saying "I hate baby food, oh wait I can't say that, because I used to eat that when I was a baby" (Stupid example, I know).
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »
I don't understand why so many people say that there's nothing special with the surf on this map. This map has more unique obstacles and layouts than any other map I've played. The shit on stage 15 is amazing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:49:15 AM by Panzerhandschuh »

Offline Orange

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »
I will be commenting on each stage individually, based on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Mr7yszNdc

Stage 1: Two ramps, the rest is just flying in circles to the end;
Stage 2: The glass "V" is nice, after that it's one long jump to the end;
Stage 3: "Sort of"- spin, than one wall to dodge before the end;
Stage 4: The start is "ok", then another spin and a long jump to the end;
Stage 5: Some nice spacious surf, once again there's a spin;
Stage 6: A nice unconventional start. This stage has both a downward and an upward spin;
Stage 7: This stage is a little more complex than the previous 6. It's pretty straight forward and dull with some wider ramps to dodge occasionally. The surfer is also surfing relatively low on the ramps and he doesn't seem to surf very fast, which doesn't really make this an exciting stage;
Stage 8: This stage is the same thing over and over again, with a little variation near the end;
Stage 9: This stage I have nothing to criticize about. It's fresh and exciting. I love it;
Stage 10: This stage starts out very well, but gradually you will start surfing slower until at the end where you have to pass a tricky gap;
Stage 11: This stage is very good as well, even though it has a spin in it;
Stage 12: Good stage, nothing wrong with this one;
Stage 13: The surf looks fine, but there are no real obstacles here. Just a long continuous surf through various rooms;
Stage 14: This stage is nice. The turning through the orange tube looks a little cramped, but the rest is good;
Stage 15: Yet another spin in this one. The rest is good, as there is plenty of speed, but this one seems to be all about barely avoiding floors and walls. It's a nice stage, but I honestly don't see the amazing shit in this one;
Stage 16: This is one of the better stages. It's fast, it doesn't have annoying obstacles and you have to surf through some interesting rooms;
Stage 17: The transition from the downward ramp to the sideways ramp at around 6:43 is stupid. Then there's another spin, followed by dodging a few walls. The rest is ok;
Stage 18: This one starts out with a spin. The part at 7:23 is awesome, and from there it's all good;
Bonus 1: Bhops and cramped surf;
Bonus 2: This one has great effects, kudo's for that. But surf-wise it's even worse than stage 1.
Bonus 3: The use of sideways ramps is cool, but it's too repetitive.

To me, the most interesting part of this map is the looks. I think it's very refreshing and everything is very polished.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:56:51 AM by Orange »

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
Oh my God. This thread. I signed up here just for this thread. It's truely amazing. Ryan s is a fuckin' genius. That dude is such an elaborate troll it's scary. I wonder if he took any acting classes or anying, he plays the 'complete fucking retard' character FLAWLESSLY. This is the first time I think I can say 'lol' and actually mean it. Many laughs were had. Thanks Ryan s.

You have no argument, you're just pure-mad that everything I said is true.  You literally made an account to call me names.  You are a terrible mapper and you should feel terrible.  You're also the guy who said he made the perfect method to create ramps, right?  Pathetic. 
Seriously though, you can't refute anything I've stated previously, you just are so upset and anally-annihilated, you have to pull things out of your gaping asshole to throw at me and try to insult me.
Please tell me what about my previous posts are "flawlessly retarded"?  It's the general consensus for this place and you are just extremely fucking upset about it because we are not sucking your dick over this "great map" (aside from the few fanboys you had sign up here to troll).
So, why is it that you're so hell bent on getting attention for the map?  Is it because you crave the acceptance of people over the internet, even to the point that you will shut them down and hope they die because they don't like something you made?  Is it because daddy raped your butt when you were little boy and you can't function in society like a normal human?
Go to a shrink, it seems like you have some serious mental issues. 

I just think it's hilarious that the only people praising the map 100% are the people with 1-2 posts. LoLz, army of faggots.

How a simple design can still be aesthetically pleasing
How a map can be made to FLOW through out several stages
How a VERY LARGE map can still be compiled and played
How the use of a very simple 3d skybox can create an atmosphere that textures cannot achieve
How sounds can increase your immersion in the experience
How models can be used to optimize your map and and enrich your map
How interesting animations can be created with hammer
And finally that new concepts and ideas are still possible!

This isn't some fucking holy grail to mapping.  This is something that every mapper should be doing.  WHY are they getting praise for doing this?  It's mapping 101.
(GOOD FUCKING JOB, YOU MADE A POTATO LIGHT BULB)

Last but not least, I'll never let the map grow on me, just because you had to come here and be a gigantic turd.

Offline Orange

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
I just think it's hilarious that the only people praising the map 100% are the people with 1-2 posts. LoLz, army of faggots.
QFT. Every retard can see that they're all on the same team, and everybody should ignore these posts.

Offline Roosta

• Roosta
  • So then I was liek
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
I can't have hours of fun on it because I can't get over 60 fps \

In all seriousness, where do you think this serious dip in performance comes from? After some testing, I can tell you guys know how VVIS works, and it's well optimized in that sense. Do you think the way you guys made every ramp into a prop causes a dip in performance? Propper was developed while I was taking a serious break from CSS, so I'm not too familiar with it.

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
FAJ: I'm disappointed - You should be setting an example for others with a well thought out post of your opinion of the map as you would usually do (since you decided to get involved) rather than using a cliche and diverting the topic further to the surftimer.

And besides, what are maps like amp series by Buck, lore by targetpractice, eclipse by papercut, networks by ryan, ny_advance by you and legendary by many of you truly are? They are a race to the end - to show how much better you are at surfing by beating the map faster than anyone else.

This map and other skill surf maps are the same exact thing. So how can anyone here who created these types of maps before say skill surf maps are bad when you created them yourself! And how can anyone who HASN'T made a map say a map is bad without actually attempting to make one them self?

[...]

I didn't want to post an opinion of the map because I didn't surf it. I was just putting in my 2 cents that surfers like different things, and it isn't worthwhile to bash surftimer vs anything else. It is just a style that is the current surf-meta. We like to harp on skill surf maps here because it is a style we don't prefer, and it has been pushed to the extreme in the recent years. Mostly the reason many of us don't even surf anymore.

What they were talking about before was difference between sleek design and overwrought design (wall patterns, arrows and non-gameplay oriented visuals) and I was commentating that those decisions ARE what sets this style of map apart, so they are not necessarily worthless. It was not a dig against timersurf.

I do feel like you are calling us hypocrites, though, when you say we bash skill maps but we have generated quite a few. We aren't saying skill maps = bad. I think I speak for the solidsurfers in question when I say we just don't enjoy the overwhelming skill metagame. When we made skill-surf, they were intended for mixed servers. We always played skill and combat and RR-style etc all in the same server. We made all different types of maps and played all different types of maps.

The variations from map to map were very great then, going from greatriver, to commune, to halfpipe, to banocanyon, to advance, to bigloop etc. We bash skill maps, not because we don't like them, but because we like everything else too. Focusing on one style of map, then removing the variation between them (arenas/jails/end-rewards etc) makes surf into a niche that we don't fit in to.

As for the hate for this particular map... that is really a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you register on a forum to troll and insult its members, whatever you are presenting is going to be ill-received. This could be the best skill surf map ever (and by at least a few people's accounts, it is) but it going to be hated on here, because of how it was presented here.

Offline Kompile

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 11:55:45 AM »
The maps size is a result of making the ramps out of models, freeing up brushsides and whatnot. Maybe the performance dip is because of its size but I had no problems on my 5770.

Got about half way through before I started no clipping around just to see the rest of the map. Which is the most fun I had, I'm not really into skill surf or the timer servers. The info_landmark stages are by far the best, I went down but ended up... up. The 2nd bonus stage is also pretty awesome (the long jump to the top is great).

However, the greatest thing in this map is that the shapes in spawn spell Omnific when you stand just right.  \

I think the map deserves a better thread, but that's your own fault.

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »
This ones for the Ryan guy.

Well to start, I'm not arguing with you. It is literally impossible to argue with someone as dumb as you and get anywhere. No matter how logical my arguments are made are, you'll still convince yourself you're right. I'm not going to waste my time doing this. I only signed up here because you are literally the dumbest person I've seen ON THE INTERNET. That takes a lot. Every one of your posts are pure gold. I feel like you could do a stand up comdey show just while you stand on stage and just talk about your day. "Woke up today pretty early. About 2:67 when the suns really high in the clouds. Got stuck in my room for two more hours cause' the door wouldn't open. Called for mom and she said I was turning the door grip the wrong way." You should seriously look into this.

I don't thinks I'm good at mapping. This is the only map for source I've ever worked on. I'm not looking for people to praise it, they can think what they want. I don't think I've posted anything that indicates I think omnific is the best map ever.

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
I can't have hours of fun on it because I can't get over 60 fps \

In all seriousness, where do you think this serious dip in performance comes from? After some testing, I can tell you guys know how VVIS works, and it's well optimized in that sense. Do you think the way you guys made every ramp into a prop causes a dip in performance? Propper was developed while I was taking a serious break from CSS, so I'm not too familiar with it.

The fps drop is because of the amount of custom content. Literally every ramp is a model, plus other stuff. Apparently Ryan s thinks it's hilarious that a map so bland can have fps drops so he probably knows a ton of fixes for unavoidable issues like these.

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
This ones for the Ryan guy.

Well to start, I'm not arguing with you. It is literally impossible to argue with someone as dumb as you and get anywhere. No matter how logical my arguments are made are, you'll still convince yourself you're right. I'm not going to waste my time doing this. I only signed up here because you are literally the dumbest person I've seen ON THE INTERNET. That takes a lot. Every one of your posts are pure gold. I feel like you could do a stand up comdey show just while you stand on stage and just talk about your day. "Woke up today pretty early. About 2:67 when the suns really high in the clouds. Got stuck in my room for two more hours cause' the door wouldn't open. Called for mom and she said I was turning the door grip the wrong way." You should seriously look into this.
>type like a retard
>call others retarded
Are you speaking from experience?  Looks like the daddy-rape comment got you pretty butthurt (no pun intended).
Lol you're mad, faggot.

http://www.realknots.com/knots/noose.htm

I just wanted to add:  you could stop responding to me and leave it as it is, since I'm so retarded and all, you know?
Because responding to a retard makes you just as retarded, kid.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:40:17 PM by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. »

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
Y u mad tho

Offline Orange

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
I wonder what you use that for

Offline Orange

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »
You're getting weaker and weaker.
Requesting removal to wipeouts.

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
I don't know brah, ask your dad.

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
My dads been dead for years

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »
My dads been dead for years
No wonder you're such a faggot, you don't have the strong backbone in your family to teach you to not be a fuck.  You're just a bitch, and that definitely comes from being raised by females.

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 03:35:18 PM »
Nah I just think its funny how stupid you are

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »
Yeah?  You THINK?  How well has THINKing worked out for you?  Rhetorical question... not too well.  (see: surf_omnifoc)

[when all hope is lost, resort to calling people who are obviously superior to you 'stupid' to make yourself feel better]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:42:55 PM by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. »

Offline checkem

• View Profile
Re: This thread sucks
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »
Nah you're pretty stupid

Offline allyourmapsareshit

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »
My reaction after seeing omnific on fpsbanana:

Anyway, I heard Nyro is a nigger. It seems accurate.

Isn't untouchable a gigantic jew? Damn shame his family wasn't gassed off in Dachau or somewhere equally appropriate.

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
My reaction after seeing omnific on fpsbanana: http://tinypic.com/r/1z1y3dl/6

Isn't untouchable a gigantic jew? Damn shame his family wasn't gassed off in Dachau or somewhere equally appropriate.

on that note babe:

I think I'm going to print the maps vmf out from notepad and make it like a phonebook, light it on fire, and shoot it.  All whilst recording.  I needed new paper targets anyway.
Maybe for glory I'll piss the flames out.

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
There is no anger to be had, it's not my abomination.

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »
I think I'm going to print the maps vmf out from notepad and make it like a phonebook, light it on fire, and shoot it.

But y u mad tho

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »
But y u mad tho
You're like literally the most retarded person ever ON THE INTERNET (and that's saying a lot).  Cannot into reading comprehension and logic.

"I needed new paper targets anyway."

Better to print targets out with paper and ink that I'm not paying for, rather than buying them.  You so dumb.

Offline checkem

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
But y u mad tho...

Offline FAJ

• Flying Badger Man
  • Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • GAJ
    • View Profile
    • NY-Surf
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »
lame

Offline Roosta

• Roosta
  • So then I was liek
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »
Oh man you guys just reminded me about Target Practice. That kid...

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
Just watched some youtube video of this map. I was blown away. It was beautiful. Regardless of how much this map brought tears to my eyes, I still think it's a piece of shit because its skill surf. That being said, great map. Hope you see this in Wipeouts lol.
What the fuck happened?

Offline Roosta

• Roosta
  • So then I was liek
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »
Just watched some youtube video of this map. I was blown away. It was beautiful. Regardless of how much this map brought tears to my eyes, I still think it's a piece of shit because its skill surf. That being said, great map. Hope you see this in Wipeouts lol.

I really think playing the map is key to understanding what makes this map so good. Watching the video with a critical eye and a burning hatred for all thing skill surf related, you'll see a bunch of simple ramps with superfluous details. What really makes this map, though, is the immersion, the quality, the sounds, the clever use of landmarked teleports in and between levels, etc. It really has to be played to be understood.

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2012, 12:25:08 AM »
Alas, the dedication I have to surf like a pro is not in me. I don't want to surf for 100+ hours just to feel the amazingness.
What the fuck happened?

Offline The call me queer

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2012, 02:50:51 AM »
\

Offline The call me queer

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »
My reaction after seeing omnific on fpsbanana:

You're aware that the map isn't in the screen, right?

Roosta, try r_3dsky 0

Shout Box