Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: awp_waveform  (Read 8023 times)

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
awp_waveform
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:22:50 PM »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:55:10 AM by THAY-imagine- »

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
Re: awp_waveform
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
Out of the 101 AWP maps I've played, this one included, I think it gets place 101. So just out of the top 100, I'm sorry
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »
Out of the 101 AWP maps I've played, this one included, I think it gets place 101. So just out of the top 100, I'm sorry
hah! My thoughts exactly when I read his shoutbox comment.

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
Har Har very funny guys but what do you actually think about the map?

Offline Orange

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
I don't know much (nothing) about awp maps and I haven't played, but it looks cool! It's styled after your purgatory map, right? I love that map.

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
The space theme was definitely influence by purgatory and plethora. You should check this map out in hammer, the skybox is pretty interesting.

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
If you stopped bragging so much, and actually had some modesty, I MIGHT have downloaded this to play it vs som bots..

~But no.

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 03:58:36 AM »
If you stopped bragging so much, and actually had some modesty, I MIGHT have downloaded this to play it vs som bots..

~But no.

Come on dude, I was just kidding. You should check it out and review it.

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »
This map looks like it was thrown together in a few hours just copying a bunch of arches over and over. The textures are dull and the layout is repetitive. Why does this deserve a rating above 8.0 and why do you even care?

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
1. This map was not thrown together in 3 hours, that is a terrible estimate and if you are suggesting you could make this map in three hours you are mistaken (and an idiot).
2. Most maps of this game mode can be thrown together in a few hours, even the good ones, look at awp_india for example.
3. Most good awp maps are repetitive because of the nature of the game mode.
4. You are a fucking fool.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:43:00 PM by THAY-imagine- »

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
1. This map was not thrown together in 3 hours, that is a terrible estimate and if you are suggesting you could do the same you are mistaken.
2. Most maps of this game mode can be thrown together in a few hours, look at awp_india for example.
3. Most good awp maps are repetitive because of the nature of the game mode.
4. You a a fucking fool.
This is why you were cast out the first time.

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
If you can't see that his response was a dickhead thing to say then you are blind. He couldn't be bothered to post a decent response but has the time to throw in some off-hand insults.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:38:25 PM by THAY-imagine- »

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
Everyone shhhhhhhhh. This forum has too many posts in too short a time.
What the fuck happened?

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Alright this is why it's not worth more than a 8.0 score.

1. The texture-scheme is boring and bland.

2. The map-layout is repetitive and seems to be a ctrl+c - ctrl+v job.

3. Most mappers on this site could make something like that in under 30 minutes.

4. Map is far too dark to be enjoyable, especially since most ct models are dark blue, they kinda disappear.

5. Doesn't really have any possible way of flanking or moving towards the enemy since it's just a straight line with a few dips..

6. I would've given you a proper review if you had shown some modesty, instead you show up saying you've made one of the best awp maps ever, and you won't take criticism (granted; it wasn't very good critiscism..) It was kinda creative, I'll give you that, since it doesn't remind me of something I've seen before in the awp_ genre. Despite that it doesn't make me go "WOW!", nor does it make me feel like jumping into css to play some awp games.

Take it or leave it, you wanted proper feedback, now you got it. If you still insist this is one of the best maps ever, and you refuse to accept the fact that you should've behaved in a different manner when posting your map, instead of calling people dicks etc. Well, then you can fuck off again.

No hard feelings, never had anything against you, since I joined Solidsurf when you had more or less left.

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 12:10:07 AM »
Alright this is why it's not worth more than a 8.0 score.

1. The texture-scheme is boring and bland.

2. The map-layout is repetitive and seems to be a ctrl+c - ctrl+v job.

3. Most mappers on this site could make something like that in under 30 minutes.

4. Map is far too dark to be enjoyable, especially since most ct models are dark blue, they kinda disappear.

5. Doesn't really have any possible way of flanking or moving towards the enemy since it's just a straight line with a few dips..

6. I would've given you a proper review if you had shown some modesty, instead you show up saying you've made one of the best awp maps ever, and you won't take criticism (granted; it wasn't very good critiscism..) It was kinda creative, I'll give you that, since it doesn't remind me of something I've seen before in the awp_ genre. Despite that it doesn't make me go "WOW!", nor does it make me feel like jumping into css to play some awp games.

Take it or leave it, you wanted proper feedback, now you got it. If you still insist this is one of the best maps ever, and you refuse to accept the fact that you should've behaved in a different manner when posting your map, instead of calling people dicks etc. Well, then you can fuck off again.

No hard feelings, never had anything against you, since I joined Solidsurf when you had more or less left.

For the most part this is legit feedback, so thank you.

But you must realize how fucking stupid an estimate of 30 minutes is. First of all, mapping is a creative process, nobody handed me blueprints of this map and said "copy this". The map evolves as you make it, and this takes up time. And even if there was blueprints, the map could not be made by anybody in under 30 minutes, regardless of how much planning went in ahead of time. If there is anything mapping has taught me, things never go as planned and execution never goes as smoothly as expected. You have never made this map before. As much as you would like to believe otherwise, you have no idea what part of the map required inefficient mapping processes. Panzer made an estimate of 3 hours and I can actually understand an estimate like that coming from someone who doesn't know shit about what it was like making the map. He probably just looked at screenshots. But the arrogance required to make an estimate 1/6 of that, and actually suggest it's anything but bullshit, is astounding.

BTW I have watched speed mapping before and although I am nothing special, I do map with haste. I did very little planning beforehand and it took 7 hours of decently fast mapping to make.

Don't take this personally either.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 04:40:01 AM by THAY-imagine- »

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »
Panzer made an estimate of 3 hours and I can actually understand an estimate like that coming from someone who doesn't know shit about what it was like making the map.

Okay now you just went full retard. I never said it took you 3 hours to make, I said "a few hours". Honestly this doesn't look like something that would take any competent mapper more than 5 hours to make from scratch with most of it planned out. It's just a bunch of copy pasted arches. I understand that it could take longer than a few hours to make if you redid areas multiple times though.

You are also completely fucking ignorant of the maps I've made as well. I know exactly what is possible to make in a short amount of time. I've made 5 stages (~2.5 mins of surf) for surf_christmas in about a week. I also made some shitty ice skate map that uses a ton of arches in ~3-5 hours a long time ago.

How could anyone possibly take you seriously when you make multiple claims that are just wrong?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:35:35 AM by Panzerhandschuh »

Offline Orange

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »
Why does time matter?

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
Why does time matter?

It matters because he probably could've made a more interesting map if he spent more time on it. A map someone makes in a couple of hours usually isn't very special.

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »
Okay now you just went full retard. I never said it took you 3 hours to make, I said "a few hours". Honestly this doesn't look like something that would take any competent mapper more than 5 hours to make from scratch with most of it planned out. It's just a bunch of copy pasted arches. I understand that it could take longer than a few hours to make if you redid areas multiple times though.

You are also completely fucking ignorant of the maps I've made as well. I know exactly what is possible to make in a short amount of time. I've made 5 stages (~2.5 mins of surf) for surf_christmas in about a week. I also made some shitty ice skate map that uses a ton of arches in ~3-5 hours a long time ago.

How could anyone possibly take you seriously when you make multiple claims that are just wrong?

I totally agree with the first part of what your saying (minus the fact that you're the retard), and like I said, I didn't have plans for the map. I just consider "a few" to mean three.

The maps you have made don't help you estimate as much as you think they do. Every map has specific details and nuances that can take longer than expected.

1. Applying textures to individual faces when there is no other option.
2. Testing the settings on the func_dustmotes to make them look likes stars.
3. Testing light settings and entity placement.
4. Manually selecting large groups of blocks.
5. Making the three types of paths with three different diameters for the arches. (And yes, this map did involve a lot of copying and pasting, but what map doesn't?)

I'm just saying you have to be very arrogant to assume that you know how long these things would take on different maps, without making the map yourself. Maps are too individual to makes estimates like that. And I've done speed mapping before, I'm not some turtle when it comes to hammer.

Time is also completely irrelevant, knowing what aspects of the map it was spent on is more important.
I don't know how much you know about awp maps, but most of them, including the good ones, are thrown together in a few hours. awp_india has a legendary status on awp servers but it could be made in no time.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:27:29 PM by THAY-imagine- »

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
Who cares! Seriously! Everyone needs to stop posting asap. Way too many posts (bad ones at that). This change is KILLING ME.
What the fuck happened?

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
Who cares! Seriously! Everyone needs to stop posting asap. Way too many posts (bad ones at that). This change is KILLING ME.

that made me giggle lul

Offline The call me queer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 04:47:57 AM »
1. Applying textures to individual faces when there is no other option.
2. Testing the settings on the func_dustmotes to make them look likes stars.
3. Testing light settings and entity placement.
4. Manually selecting large groups of blocks.
5. Making the three types of paths with three different diameters for the arches. (And yes, this map did involve a lot of copying and pasting, but what map doesn't?)
1. Learn to right-click.
2. SO easy.
3. Your lighting is dull and I can't imagine what entities you're having trouble placing.
4. Learn groups/visgroups.
5. Also easy.

Naming other maps that were done fast isn't helping your case.

Offline THAY-imagine-

• Dat nigga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 01:00:27 AM »
You are so fucking dumb, god damn.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 05:17:37 AM »
Hey, I'm not the one making myself look like a fool over a crummy awp map.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 01:49:56 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that you're retarded.

(banned from shoutbox)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:53:49 AM by The call me queer »