Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surf_Void  (Read 14863 times)

Offline vendetta

• View Profile
Surf_Void
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ExLZXhaIYxs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ExLZXhaIYxs</a>

Surf_Void, a map I have been working on for near 2 years now (not constantly). The visuals are based on a quality russian game called The Void. The idea for this map was to be similar to sniper's island, but with more freestyle, and options for players who can't surf so well. Hopefully gameplay on this map is a bit more directed.

The main ramps are done, but yet to put in all the features and goodies. Plenty of detailing work still to be done.

Motivation for mapping for me has pretty much dried up, but this is my baby, my idea of the perfect surf map. I will still keep working on it, but it will literally take me years. If anyone wants to work on it and release it in good time, I'm semi-open to requests for the vmf.

I hope someone finds this interesting  \

Offline SRSCAT

• dannith
    • View Profile
Re: Surf_Void
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
This looks really nice, good work.

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
Looks really cool. But dark maps are really no good for combat, try to light it up more \

Offline vendetta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
Yeah you're right Razor. Also I see people avoiding dark maps anyway, just because. It's difficult when I'm working with a particular theme. When I *finally* release it I'll probably just change the environment light. But I don't wanna \. Cheers for the feedback

Online S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »
Cool map, although "void" implies complete emptiness, the only thing that exists in a void is dark energy, and you can't see it.  Please change the name, it's misleading.

9.8/10. sexy as fuck, would surf, reminds me of sniper's island, which is a good thing.

Offline scaz.zaf

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »
Yeah you're right Razor. Also I see people avoiding dark maps anyway, just because. It's difficult when I'm working with a particular theme. When I *finally* release it I'll probably just change the environment light. But I don't wanna \. Cheers for the feedback
I actually ran into this exact problem with http://i.imgur.com/7eTqxfl.jpg a while back, I tried using various other themes but nothing seemed to work with it quite like the original.

reminds me of sniper's island, which is a good thing.
First thing I thought of

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:57:13 AM »
I think darkness is part of the whole atmosphere and I think it works well for this map. I like what you've got going! Also the soundtrack that you used adds very nicely to the atmosphere, can't you play something like that on loop in the map?  \
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline Sacred

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 11:53:37 AM »
Looks interesting. What happens when you fail? It doesn't look like there's a.. "jail" in that map. Do you just die?

Offline vendetta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
On the soundtrack: It's actually a track from The Void's soundtrack, so copyright issues? I'm actually somewhat nervous that it's existence is one of the only reasons the atmosphere works for me.

On jail: The middle of the Island is the jail. I didn't show it very well but the middle is a hill with a crater inside. You get into the jail if you fall into the sea surrounding the island (when it's done there should be goodies and things to find there that require a level of speed to get to). If you fall onto the ground you lose health. I tried to make it easy to fall onto the water platforms you see (in tough spots), but that may require tweaking because I've played it so much I only fail a small amount of the time, and they may not be in the right positions.

Offline The call me queer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 01:13:44 AM »
Trees can't grow in voids 1/10

Offline Dan

• TOAO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 05:20:14 AM »
This map looks great!  \

I would not change the lighting as I myself enjoy the night and walking around town at night is very tranquil and calming.
I first watched the video without sound and I thought it was the perfect ambiance for the level. (I had accidentally muted my volume w/o realizing it). In space there is no sound because it is essentially a vacuum and has no medium for sound to travel in.

If there is a way for you to remove all game sounds from your map through hammer, then I would definitely do it. It would force the player to look for another player by sight, using visual cues such as the player themselves, muzzle flash, etc. I'm sure the vast majority of players would HATE this (well, there is not much of a surf community left in the first place), but this extra layer of realism would score an A+ on my re-playability scale.

You said the player goes to jail if they land in the sea around the island. I'll take it that the sea is the black emptiness? If so, I don't see many players ever going to jail and instead see them taking damage from hitting the floor (damage over time?). You're going to have to elaborate on that a bit more.

Overall, it IS amazing. And personally, I would not give anyone the .vmf of your map. Knowing who the remaining surf mappers are does not bring good thoughts to mind on how they will molest your baby. There are maybe 1 or 2 exceptions to that rule. Ryan is one of them. He themes the shit out of his maps and I personally love all of them (except 81st, I hated that garbage ball). FAJ could also do it justice, (see godlike) however, he quit the mapping scene as far as I am aware.

Good luck with your map! (I thought this reminded me of sniper's island as well lol)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:28:55 AM by Dan »
What the fuck happened?