Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help!! I can't make a smooth 3/4ish circle  (Read 8678 times)

Offline Crayz

• View Profile
Help!! I can't make a smooth 3/4ish circle
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
I'm trying to make something I found in surf_lt_omnific, though the only thing I can come up with isn't nearly as smooth.  I tried creating a 360 degree arch (removing some of the bottom sections for ~3/4th circle) with 32 & 64 sides as well as creating the 3/4 circle manually, all are equally unsmooth.  I tried placing tiny playerclips between each angle to smooth it out a little bit but it didn't help either, see http://i.imgur.com/qnq1rEh.jpg

Anybody have ideas?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:50:26 PM by Crayz »

Offline .:CNH:. [Surfer]

• Sexy Stuff !
    • View Profile
Re: Help!! I can't make a smooth 3/4ish circle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
You just want the players to surf on the lower part of the tube, right?

I think i would just make a surframp in playerclip and put it on both sides of the tube. It will be hard to tell for the player, that he's not actually surfing the tube, but the "invisible" ramp.  \

Another way could be to give your cylinder more sides like 64 or 32. That should smooth out the tube.

Offline Crayz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
You just want the players to surf on the lower part of the tube, right?

I think i would just make a surframp in playerclip and put it on both sides of the tube. It will be hard to tell for the player, that he's not actually surfing the tube, but the "invisible" ramp.  \

Another way could be to give your cylinder more sides like 64 or 32. That should smooth out the tube.

Well I'm shootin' for being able to surf around the top of the tube to avoid obstacles throughout though it seems very choppy.  Skip to 2:55 on this video, something like this is what I'm trying to achieve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hgZlAptQuc
Omnific doesn't have it perfect, I played around on the map for a little while and it's still choppy but it definitely can be surfed smoothly like in the video

Offline Tioga060

• America #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:14:53 AM »
As a general rule of thumb, less subsections makes something less glitchy. I encountered this when I was making surf_timewarp. I had a quarter circle that had 8 subsections that looked nice but was really glitchy. I put a playerclip with half the number of brushes and it smoothed it out quite well.

The actual theory behind it has something to do with the source engine being bad at calculating collisions like that, so the more calculations it has to perform the more likely it's going to fuck up.

Offline Crayz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »
As a general rule of thumb, less subsections makes something less glitchy. I encountered this when I was making surf_timewarp. I had a quarter circle that had 8 subsections that looked nice but was really glitchy. I put a playerclip with half the number of brushes and it smoothed it out quite well.

The actual theory behind it has something to do with the source engine being bad at calculating collisions like that, so the more calculations it has to perform the more likely it's going to fuck up.

I had a slight idea that more subsections = more glitches but was also convinced that the rounder the tube was the smoother it would surf.

I'm gonna give this a shot and see what happens.

edit:  So it's definitely a lot smoother, to the point it's surfable, though still not as smooth as Omnific's.  My next step is to convert it to a model and see how it works from there.  This tube is becoming a pain in the ass =\
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:53:25 AM by Crayz »

Offline Lody Blokady

• the saviour of surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »

select all the invis brushes and do ctrl m scale +0.2 on all axis so that you cant walk on any of the edges

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »
Try using propper on your arch. A lot of times, collision issues are caused by hammer moving shit around slightly during compile. If you turn your brushes into models before compiling or reloading the vmf, you might not get the glitches.

Offline Sacred

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »
Try using propper on your arch. A lot of times, collision issues are caused by hammer moving shit around slightly during compile. If you turn your brushes into models before compiling or reloading the vmf, you might not get the glitches.

Propper works? I kinda thought it was broken since steampipe. If so, any link to instructions on how to make it work?

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile

Offline Crayz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:58 AM »
Okay so I finally got it converted into a model (I wish I would have discovered some of these Propper set-up guides a while ago =\), after testing it the tube is now surprisingly smooth.  The player-clip has 6 subsections (originally 8 with the bottom two removed for 3/4 circle), the tube itself 32.  I'm confident now that the collision would be fairly smooth with additional sections, 16-32, making for a more rounded surf going around the top of the tube.  I was able to catch up with Nyro in-game and asked him if he remembers how many sections were on the collision deal for the Omnific tube, the tube itself and the collision are both 32 sections.  I'll likely end up using 16 or 32, depending on which I find more smooth.  Or maybe I'll stick to 8

Anyways, I appreciate the help here  \.

Tube:
http://i.imgur.com/oQNaSP3.jpg

Collision:
http://i.imgur.com/WqUrYPu.jpg

Offline Tioga060

• America #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 03:59:54 PM »
More subsections should work fine with propper. The theoretical difference between propper and hammer is that propper will freeze the vertices when they are most correct

Offline RizzLe

• Juxtapo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 12:01:54 AM »
Collision:

That looks pretty nasty. I'd at least double the sides if you're not going to use a model.
Juxtapo

Offline Crayz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 04:02:30 AM »
That looks pretty nasty. I'd at least double the sides if you're not going to use a model.

I plan on converting it to a model.  That screenshot was a trial & error run, it wasn't too bad as a model though here's what I have now