Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: surf_kitsune  (Read 20287 times)

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
surf_kitsune
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »
I've been procrastinating putting this up for about a month now, its been done for the longest time. Warframe is to blame for this. Some assets used were used with permission from Lody.

This was just a little side project to the next map in the series of mesa maps. It started with just a concept of the ramp and built the theme from there. It is meant as a beginner map, with the hope to teach surfing concepts through colored stages and then test the concepts learned on the culmination of those colors (white). 9 stages total.

There is one secret on it, which is derived from the name of the map, it goes hand in hand with the theme. To access this secret, you must complete red through teal with their *alternative* path without failure. Good luck.

If anybody would like to make a video, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/179653
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:34:24 AM by Arblarg »

Offline RizzLe

• Juxtapo
    • View Profile
Re: surf_kitsune
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
Hate to be that guy, but this is pretty bad. Interesting theme, but it's very messy and annoying to look at. You also obviously have no concept of fun surf, the only stage where i had to move my mouse more than 2 inches was the last one, and that had awkward ramp placements and strange strafes.

Work on adding more interesting surf elements rather than 3-4 ramps in a row with small obstacles in between. The stages don't have to be basic to appeal to noob surfers. Hell, even surf_lessons has more variety than this.

Nice try I guess
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:08:26 PM by RizzLe »
Juxtapo

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
Hell, even surf_lessons has more variety than this.
SHOTS FIRED

I guess it should be noted this wasn't a serious attempt at anything, it was just taking a concept I had laying around and making it into something. It only took about 15 hours to complete.

Meh.

Offline Skye

• I don't even-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »
i like it.
last stage is fun.

Offline moonrabbit

• colo styro bor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:46 AM »
Yeah I've got to admit, it's not terrible and I did enjoy surfing that last stage.

I like maps that aren't ultra hard most of the time and you've pulled the style off relatively well, even if it is totally fresh.

No hate from me, but likewise - nothing that makes me immediately go that was great.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:21:17 AM by moonrabbit »

Offline Lody Blokady

• the saviour of surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:35 AM »
its really good to speed run

i mean ugh wheres the concrete textures -_- circle jerk

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:33:55 AM »
Sorry this should have been up sooner, but obligations.

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/179653

its really good to speed run

i mean ugh wheres the concrete textures -_- circle jerk
It has concrete textures ;~;
Just look, look with your special eyes!

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
I just watched a vid of the map and I don't think I've ever seen a more boring map than this. It's also really weird that the first stages are really short and then suddenly the last stage is like 10 times longer than any of the other stages. The theme is 'ok' at most and I think it's a pity that this is just an experiment for this theme
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 10:02:58 PM »
It's also really weird that the first stages are really short and then suddenly the last stage is like 10 times longer than any of the other stages.
Everything up to white is for a specific concept of surfing, white itself combines all those concepts into a level to make sure you've learned. Also if you combine all the colors together, you get white. /lore

Obviously you can telehop through stages for sanic fast 2ezpro surfing, but thats because its a beginner map and you've already learned up to or beyond the concepts of white.

The theme is 'ok' at most and I think it's a pity that this is just an experiment for this theme
Meh. Time constraints, obligations and disinterest. I put it out because it was done and some people who did the betas wanted the full version.