Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: surf_hsh_remake_a1  (Read 14716 times)

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
surf_hsh_remake_a1
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »
So here is my first map project. Its a remake of the surf_home_sweet_home map (which is one of my favorite combat maps). Its not finished yet and there might be several rail bugs (especially on the main ramp). I added a few things which are not included in the older versions of the map for example deagle platform under main which has boosters to both sides that are controlled by filters. I also didn't use any water because in the first place it didn't work (yes i checked if the map was leaking but i showed me a leak in the middle of the void) and in the second place because it wanted to try out a no-fall-dmg-filter.

so it would be nice to get some feedback on this map by experienced surfers.
thx hvcci

Map link: https://www.mediafire.com/?d1b9sw0hvafgvg5

(btw i really would like to mention the original mapper g-ra slipknot in the map itself and contact him. anybody know what happend to him cant find him :/)

Offline SintaxError

• Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • There's an error in your sintax.
    • View Profile
    • SolidSurf
Re: surf_hsh_remake_a1
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »
If you have a leak in the middle of the void, there's usually some brush entity that's centered there.  Could be other things too.  What does the log say?

Offline The call me queer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:24:27 AM »
Select all - center origins.

Check to make sure a water_lod or whatever wasn't generated there when you compiled.

Offline NamedPlayer

• http://i.imgur.com/BvAuO.jpg
    • View Profile
    • iSpawnedThere
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »
Do you have any pics or maybe a video of the map? I enjoyed HSH and i think a remake would be very nice \ When i get home i'll message you and see if i can help with that leak.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:11:25 PM by NamedPlayer »

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
Okay first thx for the replies. I read about the origins problem but never really tried it. That should work i think. But as the map isn't leaking this is my fewest problem because I'm not using any water in this map. But as i was mapping along and playtesting and kept expanding the map i got an other massive error. In the mid of the compile process it said "engine hunk overflow" and  i wasn't able to finish compiling.

But enough with the errors. I'm happy to hear that theres at least one Person out there who's also a fan of hsh \ as i said there are some railbugs (for example in the middle of the main ramp) but as far as i consider myself a pretty decent hsh surfer i would say that the old hsh feeling in this map haven't been destroyed. I changed or scaled some textures or added a few small things which were missing in my opinion in older versions of the map.

Ill be adding some screenshots the next days.

Greetz Hvcci

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 02:28:46 AM »
Do you optimize?

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »
Yeah i do pretty much everything except for hint to optimize: nodraw on every unseen face, all ramps and arches cylinders and deatiled stuff is func_detail, there is no huge skybox block around the map and no supercomplex geometry...   

Offline NamedPlayer

• View Profile
    • iSpawnedThere
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
The engine tries to render too many hunks if too much of the map is showing at once. Cut off view from part of the maps and try not to have lots of small brushes in giant open spaces. Also start using Area portals and hint/skips to help with that error.

Here is a link to area portals if you don't use them already.
http://css.gamebanana.com/threads/135721
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrkvNc-SKu4
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:31:01 PM by NamedPlayer »

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 12:49:22 AM »
I've already said somewhere, Area-portals do not belong in surf maps. That's the opposite of optimizing.

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 07:07:55 AM »
Yeah they seem to render in real time. But you guys should have a rough image of what the hsh maps look like. A least the layout. Where should go a hint un these straight large areas?

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
Here are some screenshots of the map at the moment. Most of you should be familiar with this map so the images are pretty much self-explaining:

Offline NamedPlayer

• View Profile
    • iSpawnedThere
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
I've already said somewhere, Area-portals do not belong in surf maps. That's the opposite of optimizing.

I prefer using area portals over hints and skips as they do the same except for the fact that the engine evaluates the positioning of your character's view to the world. Also i forgot to add not to abuse them, but use them in moderation in spots that aren't huge. Small arena areas where you cant surf or see much anyway is where they are best and meant for. I agree with your quote if you are referring to filling the huge hallway type areas with it.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 01:03:26 AM »
They do not do the same thing at all.

Area-portals are real-time vis calculation. The only reason you would use an area portal is because there are such an insane amount of vertices (brushes/models) in a room that real-time calculation is less cpu intensive than rendering the entire vis chunk.

Offline Sacred

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
qr knows his shit! \

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 04:32:49 AM »
As a protip don't remake it with fullbright. Always remember, a fullbright map is an incomplete map.

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• The Sexiest Man "Alive"
  • SolidSurf Elite
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • daddy is home :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who loves this map.  It looks fine in fullbright, I can't imagine it any other way.

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »
I think lighting would take the charme of this map. I was about to add some lighting but it really dindnt fit to this map.

@The call me queer: are you the qr from surf_lt_omnific? If so i wanted to ask you if you know a way how to get propper to work again cause i cant figure out how to.

Offline NamedPlayer

• View Profile
    • iSpawnedThere
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »
I have a thread on the tutorial section about propper working after steampipe. It should still work.

http://forums.solidsurf.info/index.php/topic,3865.0.html