Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seamless teleporter  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
Seamless teleporter
« on: June 20, 2014, 06:19:56 AM »
I wondered how the seamless teleports like in surf_lt_omnific for example work. Is it just a ton of different trigger_teleports with corresponding info_teleport_destinations or is there a more efficient way to do it? I tested surf_limial_a1 where its also done really good. Couldnt find anything on the web so i wanted to ask you guys.

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
Re: Seamless teleporter
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
You have to use info_landmark with the teleports. I can't find a good guide so you should just decompile the maps with BspSource and see how those maps use it.

Offline FalseLogic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:44:12 AM »
I made a small example map. Here it is: http://noisn.com/landmark_tele_example.7z

Basically it goes like this:

• Create your trigger_teleport brush entity (Make sure client flag is checked)
  • Create an info_landmark near the teleport, give it a name
  • Create an identical room, and put your info_teleport_destination, give it a name - I believe the info_teleport_destination has to be where the exact center of the trigger_teleport is from the first room (correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Open up the trigger_teleport settings, and under "Remote Destination" put the name of your info_teleport_destination, and under "Local Destination Landmark", put the name you gave the info_landmark
  • Should be done

In the example I made, I made the two rooms have different colors so you could see that you teleported rooms. If this were part of a "real" stage, everything should be as identical as possible, including all lighting.

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »
Thanks for your response \ Ive already figured it out by myself but still I'm happy for answer. I'm using a second trigger_teleport brush instead oft the info_teleport_destination and call it dest_whatever because i couldn't get it to work with the info_teleport_destination. The hardest part by making things look the same in both areas is the lighting but Ive come over this using the technique of diealready. He made a bunch of glassbrushes and made them non-solid. This creates a nice fadeish look.   But i got stuck on another idea i had: i wanted to teleport a player to a destination and rotate him 180 degrees but he should still keep his momentum in the direction hes looking at. So if hes surfing on the Right side of a ramp and hits the trigger i want to teleport him to the other side of the ramp but surfing to the point he was coming from.. Any ideas?

And as always: sorry for my bad grammar \

Offline FalseLogic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:00:48 PM »
I don't know how to do that. If you find a way, let me know as I've tried everything I can think of.

Offline Diealready

• aka Felix
  • aka massive faggot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 04:52:45 AM »
Thanks for your response \ Ive already figured it out by myself but still I'm happy for answer. I'm using a second trigger_teleport brush instead oft the info_teleport_destination and call it dest_whatever because i couldn't get it to work with the info_teleport_destination. The hardest part by making things look the same in both areas is the lighting but Ive come over this using the technique of diealready. He made a bunch of glassbrushes and made them non-solid. This creates a nice fadeish look.   But i got stuck on another idea i had: i wanted to teleport a player to a destination and rotate him 180 degrees but he should still keep his momentum in the direction hes looking at. So if hes surfing on the Right side of a ramp and hits the trigger i want to teleport him to the other side of the ramp but surfing to the point he was coming from.. Any ideas?

And as always: sorry for my bad grammar \

I have no idea if this works or not but you could somehow use a trigger_push facing the other direction in order to reverse their momentum. Usually when you fly into a trigger_push that's facing the other direction, you'll fly back out with the same velocity you had before, as long as the trigger_push is at the right strength. You could do some tests and see if it works, the hard part would be to fit it into the map I suppose.

Also if you're doing the glass fade thing I came up with, be careful, using too many brushes for that will cause significant fps drops when coming out of the teleporter.

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:17:15 AM »
Yeah Ive tried trigger_push but with the trigger_teleport brush as destination it made me surf backwards and the speed seem to differ alot. So I'm gonna DL FalseLogic's testmap (via mobile \) and see what Ive done wrong with the info_teleport_destination. Maybe that's the way to do it \