Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: surf_gem (previously marble)  (Read 24758 times)

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
surf_gem (previously marble)
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »
Hello all, I'm currently working on a surf map project, which will be titled surf_gem. This will be my first real surf mapping project, and hopefully, I complete it this time.

surf_marble is supposed to have a wide variety of custom marble and rock textures, and have an appearance resembling modern architecture. I'm trying to come up with some new, unique and fun obstacles for this surf map that will, hopefully, be enjoyed by many. The surf will have no sharp turns, momentum will be easy to maintain, each stage should flow well all the way through, and there will not be too many blind turns (they will be kept to the minimum). The surf in this map will be nice and open for most of the parts, and none of it will be compact.

I'm aiming to create 3 stages for this map, and the map will be Tier 5. There will be 10 bonuses.

Here is the progress, labelled by the Stage, its completion and how long it took to make it:

Stage 1: 100% Complete, 4.5 hours to make (Trees still to be added, some lighting changes to be done)
Stage 2: 90% done, spent 8.5 hours on it so far (some detailing still needs to be done, triggering yet to be done)
Stage 3: Not Started

Bonus 1: (by Krazy) 5% done, spend 30 minutes on it so far (will be sort of like rands b3, where you do some difficult climbing and bhopping through various parts of the map)
Bonus 2: Not Started
Bonus 3: Not Started
Bonus 4: (by Doink Face) 100% Complete
Bonus 5: Not Started
Bonus 6: Not Started
Bonus 7: Not Started
Bonus 8: (by Syncronyze) 100% Complete
Bonus 9: Not Started
Bonus 10: Not Started

Here are some screenshots of some of the current stages:

Spawn:

Stage 1:

Stage 1 is Tier 2/3 and takes an average surfer approximately 30 seconds to complete if you do it properly. However, there are some areas where you can break the flow, but take a fraction of a second off of the time. Otherwise, no significant shortcuts are possible.

Stage 2:

Images will soon be posted of this stage.

Trees still need to be added to the grassy areas in Stage 1, and a proper 2D skybox is yet to be done.

When the map is complete, I will release the map for Counter Strike: Source, Counter Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2.

Constructive criticism and honest opinions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:51:06 PM by Krazy »

Offline Sacred

• Modders
    • View Profile
Re: surf_marble
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:14:28 AM »
I'm not a fan of those textures, they seem to be very alike to your stage in voteforthisone. Can't tell much about the surf yet, of course, but please don't make all those holes and gaps too small. Ramps look smooth so far.

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:48 AM »
The surf looks quite smooth and also interesting so far. But the lighting looks too extrem in my opp.. It also might be the texture but this deep blue at spawn is too much. The marble texture in the prelast Screenshot looks pretty but i didnt like the tiled ones, i think these dont fit very well in surf maps in general. But that's just me. I'll be following your therad \

Offline Sacred

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
Yea the lights seem a bit randomly placed as well, forgot to mention that. No light source whatsoever, just a different colour at every corner as it seems.

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:57 PM »
I'm not a fan of those textures, they seem to be very alike to your stage in voteforthisone. Can't tell much about the surf yet, of course, but please don't make all those holes and gaps too small. Ramps look smooth so far.

Yeah, they're the same textures that I used in that stage, but I've added a few newer ones. I guess it's a thing with taste, where some people like those textures, and others do not. Either way, the textures are probably one thing that I would not be willing to change, since it's the theme for the map.

I'm trying not to make anything too compact, and retain decent flow throughout each stage.

Yea the lights seem a bit randomly placed as well, forgot to mention that. No light source whatsoever, just a different colour at every corner as it seems.

I will start working on that. Thanks for the feedback.

The surf looks quite smooth and also interesting so far. But the lighting looks too extrem in my opp.. It also might be the texture but this deep blue at spawn is too much. The marble texture in the prelast Screenshot looks pretty but i didnt like the tiled ones, i think these dont fit very well in surf maps in general. But that's just me. I'll be following your therad \

Thank you. I might decrease the lighting in some areas. Are you referring to the two different dark tile textures I use for the wall, or the white and black one that I use for the two ramps on Stage 1, or just anything that is tiled?

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
surf_marble Stage 1/2 Video
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 01:52:06 AM »
I'm going to finish re-texturing another map before I continue working on Stage 3 of this, so I've uploaded a video of the first two stages.

http://youtu.be/tTVg7NI2IJg

The video editor made this appear a lot darker than it actually is, so before you tell me to add more lighting, take into consideration that this isn't how dark the map actually is. Look at the pictures in the top of this thread for the actual lighting.

Offline scaz.zaf

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 02:32:00 AM »
That stage 2 looks so much like something I wanted to make a while back
Love it man

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:23:03 AM »
Looks great. Btw I found a preview version of the map: http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/16058

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 08:31:42 AM »
the surf looks really fun and quite innovative, although the looks are somewhat questionable.. Would definitely be better off with some nicer textures and lighting..

Offline Sacred

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:33:34 AM »
I can already feel my eyes hurt after playing that map for more than 10 minutes

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
Looks great. Btw I found a preview version of the map: http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/16058

Well, fuck, I'll have to come up with another name then.

That stage 2 looks so much like something I wanted to make a while back
Love it man

Thank you

the surf looks really fun and quite innovative, although the looks are somewhat questionable.. Would definitely be better off with some nicer textures and lighting..

I'll try to obtain some better marble textures for this one.

I can already feel my eyes hurt after playing that map for more than 10 minutes

I've dimmed some of the lighting in the map ever since I recorded these a week ago, if that helps.

Offline Sacred

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »
Yea, I guess that helps. At least I hope so. Just maps lighted like surf_inrage really make my eyes hurt, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that \

Stage 2 looks really nice btw, can't wait to try that one. Stage 1 didn't seem special tho.

Offline Mr.Cow

• Moo Moo Man
  • Moo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »
The surf seemed better than I expected. gj krazy best mepper

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
There's actually another surf_marble on gamebanana: http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/13481

I don't think using the same name will be much of a problem since skill servers don't use those maps.

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 03:07:28 AM »
There's actually another surf_marble on gamebanana: http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/13481

I don't think using the same name will be much of a problem since skill servers don't use those maps.

Yeah, but there will probably be a few people who probably have that version of surf_marble map downloaded, and if they try to get onto the server when my map is on, it will not work at all. Thinking of changing the name to surf_marbled.

Offline Paper-Cut

• Surf Patrol
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Roll up
    • View Profile
    • TAG Servers
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 02:52:59 AM »
All I can comment on is the the theme and name - I think it's very unoriginal. Texturing something in marble and calling it surf_marble is kind of ridiculous.
I make my maps with Microsoft Paint.

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
I've already confirmed I'm coming up with a better and unused name.

My ideas so far are surf_unique, surf_complexity and surf_pls_nominate_me. Probably going to go with the first one

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 01:26:20 PM »
I've already confirmed I'm coming up with a better and unused name.

My ideas so far are surf_unique, surf_complexity and surf_pls_nominate_me. Probably going to go with the first one

ha! good one..

It's a joke, right?

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
Like the name is of any importance at all. If it's a good map it won't matter if you call it surf_[insertwittymapname]
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 10:40:47 AM »
I'll just come up with a good name before I finish this project, but for now, the project name is surf_marble.

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »
I've decided to remove Stage 1 from this project. Stage 2 is now the new Stage 1, I guess. It just looks like shit, and does not have any unique surf or geometry in it.

The original stage just isn't of as good of quality as I would wish for it to be, and the geometry in it is doing nothing but hogging limits. It's now completely scrapped. I might toss up a version of the stage if anyone's interested in trying it.

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
Re: surf_gem (previously marble)
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »
Where are the gems?

Offline Sacred

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 05:02:17 AM »
Gems are truly, truly, truly outrageous

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 07:44:14 AM »
Jem, the music's contagious, outrageous

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
So, I've spent the last week making Stage 2 for this map. Now I've only got to make one more stage and fit another 8 bonuses in. I'll upload a video of Stage 2 tomorrow.

Click on the images for way better quality:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:19:52 PM by Krazy »

Offline svbg869

• SolidSurf Elite
  • [insert witty comment hear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
damn. man i missed this entirely. That surf in the video above was awesome. love the feel of the map.

personally i dont mind the textures. its not the same damn metal/concrete we are used to seeing so its already got a plus in my books

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »
So, I've spent the last week making Stage 2 for this map. Now I've only got to make one more stage and fit another 8 bonuses in.

8 BONUSES? why?

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
8 BONUSES? why?

Actually there's already 2 bonuses in the map, there will be a total of 10 bonuses.

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »
So you're going to make a map with two stages, and 10 bonuses? I really don't see the point in doing it like that.. You might as well make a big map with 12 stages. Or two maps out of it.

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »
So you're going to make a map with two stages, and 10 bonuses? I really don't see the point in doing it like that.. You might as well make a big map with 12 stages. Or two maps out of it.

The map will have 3 stages, each of the stages being long (Stage 1 is about 28 seconds, Stage 2 is about 46 seconds, I'm aiming to make Stage 3 about 90 seconds), and 10 bonuses because I've been liking this trend of having lots of bonuses in maps. Also, there's plenty of mappers that I know very well that I would like to have play a part in this project.

I'll make Stage 3 after all of the bonuses have been fit into the grid, and then I'll know the boundaries of what I can do with the stage and how I can make it better than the previous two.

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 01:01:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKLW55WgH8

Here's the current progress on the map itself, the video contains Stages 1 and 2.

Offline RazerSurf

• Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • mapper of surfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
Wow, the surf looks really smooth and fun. Not the biggest fan of the looks, but surf-wise this is top notch  \

Offline Krazy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 03:35:40 AM »
Wow, the surf looks really smooth and fun. Not the biggest fan of the looks, but surf-wise this is top notch  \

Thanks

Offline Orange

• Elder surfman of the states
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Elder statessurf of the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »
Yeah you have some really interesting surf going on  \
Surfing states of the elder men

Offline pand3mic

• Modders
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKLW55WgH8

Here's the current progress on the map itself, the video contains Stages 1 and 2.

Your stuff is so unique, and the textures are good imo
I don't want a signature