Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dota 2 Workshop Tools + Source 2 Hammer Released  (Read 6769 times)

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
Dota 2 Workshop Tools + Source 2 Hammer Released
« on: August 07, 2014, 05:27:35 AM »
Valve just released an alpha version of the Dota 2 workshop tools. It has a bunch of cool tools like a completely new version of hammer, a particle editor, model editor, and a material shader editor. You can download it now in the tools section of steam. Dota 2 can also use lua scripts to modify how the game works, so it should be a good replacement for sourcemod. I'm almost certain all of this stuff will be for Source 2 since it's a massive step from the old version hammer. Get hype and let's start a new era of surf.

More info: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dota_2_Workshop_Tools
Also thanks to Tioga for telling me about this.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:56:45 AM by Panzerhandschuh »

Offline Hvcci

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2 Workshop Tools + Source 2 Hammer Released
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:14:18 AM »
I've got a bunch of questions... Ive never played Dota2. Is the surfing compareable to CSS or TF2? And are there updates/New features or any other advantages over the old Hammer? You mentioned a model editor... Is it a tool like propper? And especially for the surf: do the vertecies shift in the same strange manner like they do in the current Hammer after a compile? Sry if i question-spam but I'm quite interested \

Offline Panzerhandschuh

• Server Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
There's no surf in Dota 2 currently, but it might be possible with some lua scripting addons. There are a TON of new features that the new editor has. It can do anything hammer can do and more, including some advanced modelling options that programs like 3ds max and blender have. It isn't like propper. Propper only converts vmfs into models, it's not a model editing tool. I tried reloading the map and I didn't see any shifting of the vertices.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:00:03 AM by Panzerhandschuh »

Offline Crayz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »
Can this Dota 2 Hammer export to .vmf for source engine games?

The whole DoTA 2 surfing new game engine thing seems like a crazy idea to me, let dota continue to be a crappy MOBA, but I'm down for a new version of the Hammer editor

edit: I suppose this new Hammer isn't going to be restricted to only DoTA.  We just have to wait and see what happens.

Is the DoTA 2 Lua even capable of allowing changes to physics and camera etc?  Replicating Source Engine physics in a MOBA will take some extensive coding
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:03:05 AM by Crayz »