Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Glass textures on ramp model 2.0  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
Glass textures on ramp model 2.0
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:41:41 AM »
So to preface, this issue only seems to occur with CS:GO.

My ramps in Kitsune^2 have 2 layers of glass with the same texture and then a neon color on the inner edges of the ramp "skeleton" (if that makes sense). In CS:S, $translucent 1 works as intended and gives me no issues (top picture). $alphatest / $alpha yields the same result in both CS:S and CS:GO, the part of the texture with alpha appears opaque (black). In CS:GO $translucent 1 makes the glass textures completely invisible. Fr3shs' fix for his ramps is no avail to me, as with the middle picture the alpha section again just appears black.

The alpha channel is baked into the texture and as I know it works fine with $translucent in CS:S. It works fine on brushes in CS:GO. It does not work fine on models in CS:GO.

The VMT's - (working as intended in CS:S)
Brush version
Code: [Select]
"UnlitGeneric"
{
"$basetexture" "grids/grid_red"
"$surfaceprop" "Glass"
"$translucent" 1
"$selfillum" 1

}

Model version
"unlitgeneric"
{
$model 1
"$basetexture" "grids/grid_red"
"$surfaceprop" "glass"
"$translucent" 1
"$selfillum" 1

}

As an added note, $alphatest on brushes appears the same as on models, with the section that should have alpha being opaque. The models also appear properly (as they do in CS:S) within the CS:GO world editor with $translucent 1.

TL;DR - How to unfuck something that works fine in CS:S but not in CS:GO. Its really got my panties in a bunch.

Offline fr3shz

• View Profile
Re: Glass textures on ramp model 2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »
This is what I put for my glass texture on edge.

"vertexlitgeneric"
{
$basetexture "de_season\glass01"
$surfaceprop "glass"
//"$translucent" 1
"$alphatest" 1
"$allowalphatocoverage" 1
"$alpha" 1
"$nocull" 1
$envmap env_cubemap
$envmapsaturation "1"
$envmapcontrast "1"
$envmaptint "[0.9 0.9 0.92]"

"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
//"$selfillum" 1
}

It might just be $selfillum that's causing the issue or the shader itself. I remember changing it to VertexLitGeneric.
I dunno what half the shader effects do but I just kept trying shit until it worked for me :c

Edit: It probably is the shader, you need to use VertexLitGeneric
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:48:45 PM by fr3shz »

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
No go. Texture just totally blacks out.

Offline Arblarg

• I map
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
Did a little bit of snooping into CS:GO. Turns out it requires a very specific level of alpha. Copied the alpha colors from standard CS:GO textures and applied it to mine. Nothing else changed but the amount of alpha and voila, it works. That said due to alphatest it looks like shit and loses out on the darkness of the base texture. $translucent refuses to play nicely with my models in CS:GO. Guess I'm just going to have to compromise with less than optimal because CS:GO is just apparently so different from all the other source games. Ah well. Gmod, CS:S, and TF2 will have nice looking ports. The CS:GO kiddies will just have to deal with sub par due to their shit choice of game.