Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting your map on the internet  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Semikiller

• View Profile
Getting your map on the internet
« on: May 07, 2006, 04:28:04 PM »
Once you have made your map, you're probably going to want to play it with other people online. This tutorial will give you some tips on uploading your maps and getting them on the internet so people can download them. You should be ready for this tutorial once you have finished making your map.

Step 1: Making a folder for zipping your maps.

This step is very important for organizing your map files for uploading. Once you finish your map, you are going to want to zip your maps. To zip your maps you will need to make a new folder, name it "My Maps" (You may place this folder wherever you want, just remember where it is). In "My Maps" you will want to make another folder, name it "cstrike" . Once you are in the "cstrike" folder, make another folder and name it "maps" . Now, once you have the maps folder created, you need to find your finished map which is usually located here: (C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps) . Where <username> is the name that you made youself when you made your steam account. Once you have found your map (bsp file), you will need to copy and paste it to your NEW "maps" folder. If have have other files such as .nav or .res, you should copy and paste then in the new "maps" folder as well.

Step 2: Zipping your maps.

To get your maps on the internet, 99% of the websites will want your maps in a zip or rar file. To do this, you need a program that will zip files. I use WinRAR  because it is easy to use and it's free. http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

To zip your files you will need to go to your "My Maps" folder and right-click on the "cstrike" folder. http://img190.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tutorial10io.jpg Now click on "Add to archive..." . Now it should bring up a window that looks like this http://img453.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tutorial22qe.jpg. In this window you need to click on the ZIP button and rename cstrike.zip to the name of your map (ex: surf_loopy.zip) now press OK. Now your zipped map should be located in "My Maps".

Step 3: Uploading your map on the internet.

There are many sites that will be more than happy to upload your maps. I will just list a few.

www.fpsbanana.com
www.csm2.net
www.cstrike-planet.com
www.filefront.com

Congrats! You just uploaded your completed map on the internet for other people to download and play. If you need any extra help on anything related to this, e-mail me at: poogert@yahoo.com

Offline SintaxError

• Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • There's an error in your sintax.
    • View Profile
    • SolidSurf
Getting your map on the internet
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 04:52:53 AM »
2 more things:

1) If you have any env_cubemaps in your level (you should if you have water), make sure to build the cubemaps.  You can do this by running "buildcubemaps" in the console.

2) If your map uses any custom textures/materials, make sure to pack them into the BSP using pakrat, found here: http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/pakrat.html  Not doing so will most likely result in the texture showing up as the purple/black checker pattern for other people.

Offline Power-Fusion

• The Local Nudist
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Hot Dickings!
    • View Profile
Re: Getting your map on the internet
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:11:08 PM »
so i make a My maps file
in there i make a cstrike file
and in the cstrike file i put maps?
or not in the cstrike file?
spoz: I like my women how i like my filesystems... FAT and 16

Offline SintaxError

• Admin
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • There's an error in your sintax.
    • View Profile
    • SolidSurf
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 05:50:18 PM »
Most people just zip up the bsp and put it on fpsbanana or wherever.  There's not much of a reason to do any more. 

Offline Power-Fusion

• The Local Nudist
  • Elder Statesman
    of the Surf
  • Hot Dickings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:48:04 PM »
k
thx
spoz: I like my women how i like my filesystems... FAT and 16

Offline sali92

• Believe in yourself.. :p
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »
2 more things:

1) If you have any env_cubemaps in your level (you should if you have water), make sure to build the cubemaps.  You can do this by running "buildcubemaps" in the console.

2) If your map uses any custom textures/materials, make sure to pack them into the BSP using pakrat, found here: http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/pakrat.html  Not doing so will most likely result in the texture showing up as the purple/black checker pattern for other people.

So have i got to use pakrat, that the people who uses the map, to see it how it should be?
cause this link is invalid and i'm not sure what you mean..

greez sali

Offline unt0uch4bl3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
Lol what a mega bump, a little over 3 years... Why'd u have to ruin it...

Use pakrat to pack custom textures if you used any.

Build BSP -> use pakrat after.

Google it for the download link. There are other alternatives if you don't figure how to use pakrat, which I have a good feeling you won't.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:05:23 PM by unt0uch4bl3 »

Offline sali92

• Believe in yourself.. :p
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »
Lol what a mega bump, a little over 3 years... Why'd u have to ruin it...

Use pakrat to pack custom textures if you used any.

Build BSP -> use pakrat after.

Google it for the download link. There are other alternatives if you don't figure how to use pakrat, which I have a good feeling you won't.

ah ok thank you :p

Offline Paul

• Blinky! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 11:40:28 AM »
Map analyst > all.